Splunk Search

Why are there missing fields for sample queries?

syamaguchi3
Explorer

Hi

I'm implementing some searches provided by Splunk Threat Research Team to detect threats from AD logs. But I cannot set all required fields. For example, one of them is below. 

"Windows Computer Account Requesting Kerberos Ticket" (https://research.splunk.com/endpoint/fb3b2bb3-75a4-4279-848a-165b42624770/)

It requires some fields that I cannot find , such as subject, and action.

Below is a sample log. I can't find which value I should extract as a "subject" and "action".  I use "WinEventLog:Security" as sourcetype.  I installed the TA-microsoft-windows.  Thank you.

LogName=Security
SourceName=Microsoft Windows security auditing.
EventCode=4768
EventType=0
Type=Information
ComputerName=win-dc-128.attackrange.local
TaskCategory=Kerberos Authentication Service
OpCode=Info
RecordNumber=2106676187
Keywords=Audit Success
Message=A Kerberos authentication ticket (TGT) was requested.

Account Information:
	Account Name:		PC-DEMO$
	Supplied Realm Name:	attackrange.local
	User ID:			ATTACKRANGE\PC-DEMO$

Service Information:
	Service Name:		krbtgt
	Service ID:		ATTACKRANGE\krbtgt

Network Information:
	Client Address:		::ffff:10.0.1.15
	Client Port:		59022

Additional Information:
	Ticket Options:		0x40800010
	Result Code:		0x0
	Ticket Encryption Type:	0x12
	Pre-Authentication Type:	2

Certificate Information:
	Certificate Issuer Name:		
	Certificate Serial Number:	
	Certificate Thumbprint:		 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

shivanshu1593
Builder

From the sample log, subject can contain the value "A Kerberos authentication ticket (TGT) was requested." and the field action should contain "success" if the value for the field Keywords is "Audit Success" and "failure" if the value for the field Keywords is "Audit Failure". This is a calculated field so if its not populating already, you can create easily via settings -> fields -> calculated fields.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Shiv
###If you found the answer helpful, kindly consider upvoting/accepting it as the answer as it helps other Splunkers find the solutions to similar issues###

View solution in original post

shivanshu1593
Builder

From the sample log, subject can contain the value "A Kerberos authentication ticket (TGT) was requested." and the field action should contain "success" if the value for the field Keywords is "Audit Success" and "failure" if the value for the field Keywords is "Audit Failure". This is a calculated field so if its not populating already, you can create easily via settings -> fields -> calculated fields.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Shiv
###If you found the answer helpful, kindly consider upvoting/accepting it as the answer as it helps other Splunkers find the solutions to similar issues###

syamaguchi3
Explorer

Thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...