Splunk Search

Why are graphs not representative of counts from my search? How to join main and subsearch to compare results?

lbogle
Contributor

I have the main search returning results appropriately in the "Events" tab however, visualization returns incorrect graphs/counts. I have a similar issue with my intended sub search below. Essentially I am trying to find/make a list of 'hostname's in the sub search and then compare that to the main search to see what applications are installed on those hostnames. I have to normalize columns to read 'hostname' and ignore some fields.

index=test_assets source="C:\\Splunk Test Assets\\SCEP.csv" OR source="C:\\Splunk Test Assets\\McAfee.csv" OR source="C:\\Splunk Test Assets\\DG-Windows.csv" OR source="C:\\Splunk Test Assets\\DG-Mac.csv" OR source="C:\\Splunk Test Assets\\PGP.csv" NOT "Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard" | rename "HostName" as hostname | rename "System Name" as hostname | rename name as hostname | rename "Host Name" as hostname | rename MACHINE_NAME as hostname | replace "C:\Splunk Test Assets\SCEP.csv" with SCEP IN source | replace "C:\Splunk Test Assets\McAfee.csv" with McAfee In source | replace "C:\Splunk Test Assets\DG-Windows.csv" with DG In source | replace "C:\Splunk Test Assets\DG-Mac.csv" with DG IN source | replace "C:\Splunk Test Assets\PGP.csv" with PGP IN source | chart count over hostname by source 

This is the sub search (below) that I am trying to mine for hostnames to compare to the main search (above) .
The sub search returns an appropriate number of entries in the "Events" tab for "source" however when I go to visualization, the graphs are not representative of the counts I see in the "Events" tab.

index=test_assets source="C:\\Splunk Test Assets\\WSUS.csv" OR source="C:\\Splunk Test Assets\\Altiris_hostnames.csv" OR source="C:\\Splunk Test Assets\\mac-AD.csv" NOT "System Type"=Virtual NOT "System Type"="Thin Client" NOT "Operating System"="Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition" NOT "Operating System"="Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 Edition" NOT "Operating System"="Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition" NOT "Operating System"="Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition (full installation)" NOT "Operating System"="Windows 2000 Datacenter Server" NOT "Operating System"=Linux NOT "OS Name"=AIX NOT "OS Name"=AIX5L NOT "OS Name"=CentOS NOT "OS Name"=HP-UX NOT "OS Name"="HP-UX 11i v1" NOT "OS Name"=Linux NOT "OS Name"="Red Hat Enterprise Linux" NOT "OS Name"="Red Hat Linux" NOT "OS Name"=SunOS NOT "OS Name"="SUSE Linux" NOT "OS Name"="SUSE Linux Enterprise Server" NOT "OS Name"="Ubuntu Linux" NOT "Operating System"=VMWare NOT "OS Name"="Microsoft Windows Server 2003" | rename "System Name" as "hostname" | rename "name" as "hostname" | rename "HostName" as "hostname" | rename "Host Name" as "hostname" | rename MACHINE_NAME as "hostname" | replace "C:\Splunk Test Assets\Altiris_hostnames.csv" with Altiris in source | replace "C:\Splunk Test Assets\WSUS.csv" with Windows-WSUS IN source | replace "C:\Splunk Test Assets\mac-AD.csv" with Mac-WSUS IN source | dedup hostname | chart count over hostname by source

So, two questions then I guess. Why are the source counts in the events tab not matching up and how to I join the second search as a sub search.

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lbogle
Contributor

Resolved this with 'append' and not appendcols as I had been using.

View solution in original post

lbogle
Contributor

Resolved this with 'append' and not appendcols as I had been using.

somesoni2
Revered Legend

could you paste some sample output you get from search/subsearch that you see in events tab?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...