Splunk Search

Why are date_ fields missing?

mykol_j
Path Finder

What happened to the date_wday, date_hour,  and the others?  Am I going nuts, waking from a dream where they used to be there all the _time?

looks like date_mday and date_month are still there...

on 8.2.6

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

mykol_j
Path Finder

All turned out to be a timestamp extraction.

As soon as we removed DATETIME_CONFIG = NONE it fixed it. Go figure.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mykol_j
Path Finder

All turned out to be a timestamp extraction.

As soon as we removed DATETIME_CONFIG = NONE it fixed it. Go figure.

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

hmm, you should provide us some "more" details...

1. what version of Splunk you are using - free splunk or enterprise or cloud?

2. on which index you saw this above issue?

3. the SPL search query you use for this above issue?

if you are not going nuts and if you use older versions of splunk, splunk will make you go nuts automatically. (for example, the license consumption calculation has changed "drastically" on each versions of 6x, 7x, 8x, etc)

0 Karma

mykol_j
Path Finder

Think I just noticed part of the problem, maybe this post will still help somebody out there if they run across it (otherwise I'd delete it out of embarrassment, 😉

The data in question has a typo in the timestamp, a comma. Even though it's being extracted OK into "_time", it appears that it's enough to jack with the other "date_" extractions.

i.e.:  2022-07-20 13:07:51,352

mykol_j
Path Finder

Enterprise 8.2.6

The SPL is at it's most basic:

index=badging     -- yes, it's door badging data. Yes, the timestamps are standard and are being read correctly.

I noticed that if I specify the servername the data's coming from (i.e. host=badgingserver) the fields appear (date_hour, date_minute, date_year, etc.). But those are coming from the index the server is sending it's default information to (/var/log/) -- in this case "security" before you ask. But a simple "index=badging" or a simple "index=badging  host=badgingserver" -- which is a single file in /var/log/badging/badge.log -- and the fields not being there.

I wasn't aware of the index impacting whether a "default" field like date_year would appear...

0 Karma

mykol_j
Path Finder

Hmm, appears to be based on the index... I don't remember this being an issue -- as far as I remember, they've always been there along with _time. Anyone have any insight?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...