Splunk Search

Why are Splunk searches returning events outside the frozenTimePeriodInSecs setting?

slr
Communicator

Hi there!

I'm trying to set up the buckets in one Splunk deployment. I want to delete events greater than 1 week and for that I write the next parameters for some indexes inside the local/indexes.conf

frozenTimePeriodInSecs = 604800
rotatePeriodInSecs = 60
maxHotBuckets = 1
maxHotSpanSecs = 3600
maxHotIdleSecs = 60
maxWarmDBCount = 1

I check the splunkd.log and the BucketMover works without errors... but when I'm checking the events inside the indexes with the next search...

index=someindex | chart count over date_mday by date_month

... Splunk shows me events from days outside the frozenTimePeriodInSecs that I set. Sometimes 3 days more, other times even 6 or more...

Any clues?

Deployment:
Splunk: Enterprise 6.3.2

0 Karma
1 Solution

dgrubb_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Remember that setting is applied to a bucket as a whole not individual events. So in order for Splunk to freeze a bucket all events in a bucket must be past the frozentimeperiodinsecs

View solution in original post

dgrubb_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Remember that setting is applied to a bucket as a whole not individual events. So in order for Splunk to freeze a bucket all events in a bucket must be past the frozentimeperiodinsecs

slr
Communicator

Also, the Hot bucket don't count for this purpose and for that, I will have frozentimeperiodinsecs + hotbucket events in the indexes... is right?

Thanks @dgrubb_splunk

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...