Splunk Search

Why am I unable to output lookup field when the field is not a Splunk field?

becksyboy
Communicator

Hi All,

I have an issue which i am unable to resolve. I have a lookup with two columns:

Process_Command_Line, score

Under 'Process_Command_Line', the values are wild carded e.g. *net user*.

The 'score' column has an arbitrary numerical value added.

The SPL is working with the 'Process_Command_Line' wild carded values and we only see events relevant to the Lookup values, but I cannot get the score value to be also visible. Is there something fundamentally incorrect with the SPL i am using:

index=wineventlog
source="WinEventLog:*" EventCode=4688 Process_Command_Line!="" user!="-" user="*123serviceProd*"
[| inputlookup SuspiciousDiscoveryActivity.csv | fields Process_Command_Line]
| dedup Process_Command_Line
| lookup SuspiciousDiscoveryActivity.csv Process_Command_Line as Process_Command_Line OUTPUTNEW score

thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK. I tested it and now I'm pretty sure that if you call lookup just by csv name it will not use the lookup settings defined for the lookup based on that lookup file.

So if I defined a simple one-row lookup table like this:

hostmatch
whate*true

saved it as wildcard_test.csv then defined a wildcard_test lookup with match type WILDCARD(host)

then run

| makeresults 
| eval host="whatever"
| lookup wildcard_test host output match as match_lookup
| lookup wildcard_test.csv host output match as match_csv

I get a result of "true" only in the match_lookup field which matches by the lookup definition. The field match_csv which comes from the lookup based on just the csv field is not matched.

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your search in general is higly suboptimal. Most importantly, if you have any other option, do not use search terms beginning with wildcards. It makes Splunk have process every single raw event which obviously is not very efficient. Also, try to not use stuff like "user!=-".

I'm not 100% sure if match type is honored when you're calling lookup by filename, not by definition name.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK. I tested it and now I'm pretty sure that if you call lookup just by csv name it will not use the lookup settings defined for the lookup based on that lookup file.

So if I defined a simple one-row lookup table like this:

hostmatch
whate*true

saved it as wildcard_test.csv then defined a wildcard_test lookup with match type WILDCARD(host)

then run

| makeresults 
| eval host="whatever"
| lookup wildcard_test host output match as match_lookup
| lookup wildcard_test.csv host output match as match_csv

I get a result of "true" only in the match_lookup field which matches by the lookup definition. The field match_csv which comes from the lookup based on just the csv field is not matched.

becksyboy
Communicator

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. I will re-check to see what we are doing wrong compared to your example.

0 Karma

becksyboy
Communicator

Thanks again, this fixed my issue. I had actually had the same config as you, but my wildcard match condition syntax was incorrect, I had

WILDCARD(Process_Command_Line)(score)

When it should have been just
WILDCARD(Process_Command_Line)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you defined the lookup to use WILDCARD lookups?

becksyboy
Communicator

Yes we have this defined and the wildcards for the fields seem to be working for the 'Process_Command_Line' fields.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...