Splunk Search

Why am I unable to multiply two fields fields with my current search syntax?

IRHM73
Motivator

Hi, I wonder whether someone may be able to help me please.

I'm trying to put together a piece of a search which multiplies two numerical fields.

I've looked through Splunk Answers and tried both of the following:

eval Rating Calculation = Total Replies * Rating Score 

and

eval Rating Calculation = "Total Replies"  * "Rating Score"

But neither work.

I just wondered whether someone may be able to look at this please and let me know where I've gone wrong.

Many thanks and kind regards

Chris

0 Karma
1 Solution

aholzer
Motivator

Use the rename function, to rename your fields with spaces to fields without spaces:

... | rename "Total Replies" AS TotalReplies, "Rating Score" AS RatingScore

Then apply your eval (may I suggest you don't use a space in the name of your field in the eval?):

... | eval RatingCalculation = TotalReplies * RatingScore

Once all this is done, you can then rename them back to having the space between words. But I would leave this rename to the very last step in your search, to avoid further issues with fields with spaces:

... | rename Rating* AS "Rating *", TotalReplies AS "Total Replies"

Your full search would look like this:

<your base search> | rename "Total Replies" AS TotalReplies, "Rating Score" AS RatingScore | eval RatingCalculation = TotalReplies * RatingScore | rename Rating* AS "Rating *", TotalReplies AS "Total Replies"

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The direct way to do this is to force splunk to interpret your string as a field name; this is done by bounding the LHV in double-quotes and the RHVs inside dollar-signs, like this:

| eval "Rating Calculation" = $Total Replies$ * $Rating Score$

aholzer
Motivator

Cool, I was unaware of that feature.

0 Karma

IRHM73
Motivator

Hi @woodcock, thank you very much for this. A really useful piece of information.

Chris

0 Karma

aljohnson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The normal version of this feature is to use single quotes:

| eval "Rating Caculation" = 'Total Replies' * 'Rating Score'

From the docs:

If the expression references a field name that contains non-alphanumeric characters, it needs to be surrounded by single quotes; for example, new=count+'server-1'.

IRHM73
Motivator

Hi @aljohnson, thank you for taking the time to come back to me with this. Another really useful piece of information.

Chris

0 Karma

aholzer
Motivator

Use the rename function, to rename your fields with spaces to fields without spaces:

... | rename "Total Replies" AS TotalReplies, "Rating Score" AS RatingScore

Then apply your eval (may I suggest you don't use a space in the name of your field in the eval?):

... | eval RatingCalculation = TotalReplies * RatingScore

Once all this is done, you can then rename them back to having the space between words. But I would leave this rename to the very last step in your search, to avoid further issues with fields with spaces:

... | rename Rating* AS "Rating *", TotalReplies AS "Total Replies"

Your full search would look like this:

<your base search> | rename "Total Replies" AS TotalReplies, "Rating Score" AS RatingScore | eval RatingCalculation = TotalReplies * RatingScore | rename Rating* AS "Rating *", TotalReplies AS "Total Replies"

Hope this helps

IRHM73
Motivator

Hi @aholzer, thank you for taking the time to come back to me with this.

Your solution works perfectly!

Chris

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Try enclosing those in quotes. Splunk has trouble with spaces sometimes

Eval "my total" = 1 + 1

Or

eval "my total" = value1 + value2

IRHM73
Motivator

I downvoted this post because voted in error

0 Karma

IRHM73
Motivator

Hi @esix, thank you for coming back to me with this.

Unfortunately this doesn't work.

I have tried eval "my total" = Total Replies * Rating Score with "Total Replies" and "Rating Score being the fields I'd like to multiply and I receive the following error:

Error in 'eval' command: The operator
at 'Replies + Rating Score' is
invalid.

I then tried eval "my total" = "Total Replies" * "Rating Score" and this just adds the text "Total Replies" and Rating Score" together in the "my total" field.

Chris

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...