Splunk Search

Why am I seeing poor search performance for simple searches and high CPU on one core?

sat94541
Communicator

Splunk deployment -adhoc query have been slow for the past months.

1- We upgraded our system from 2 core to 12 core on a single server.
2- We upgraded from Splunk 5 to 6 (not a fresh install)

Now system has 16GB of RAM and Disk is 84% full.
I have followed the monitoring advice:
http://wiki.splunk.com/Community:PerformanceTroubleshooting

There is no IO bottleneck. When queries are run, there is only a sporadic spike of activity (iotop).
While the search is running there is one process at 100% the whole time.

I query the _internal for cpu usage,
Splunk > index=_internal source=*metrics.log group=pipeline | timechart sum(cpu_seconds) by name

the index is spiking at 5.455 in some rare occasions, all search are below 1. Whatever that means. The link above mention abnormal usage when the indice is over 30.
Memory was at constant 81% usage on the box, After restarting splunk, it dropped to 15%, but performance remained the same
To test created a brand new index.
ingested 745 log4j events.
There is no data model (I later setup a data model, and accessed it through Pivot, but it was slow too)
Basic default setting

Performed a very simple:
index=”my_test_index” | head 1

ran the search from the command line.
It takes 2 minutes 14 seconds to return the query above

On the same box, other indexes totaling 360 M events (few GB of data), these are slow too.

Bottom line, it is constantly slow, every query.
The job inspector is telling it spent 96% (120s) of the time doing Dispatch.evaluate.search,
all other categories are below 1 sec, most under 0.5 seconds.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

rbal_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I just found what was the problem...

Found the issue to be with bloated props.conf. at $SPLUNk_HOME/etc/apps/learned/local/ was containing 50000+ sourcetypes.

It was caused by having source type set to automatic on one of our inputs. For each csv file that got indexed a new source type was created leading to a bloated props.conf. I also got rid of unused entries in transforms.conf.

So it looks like the parsing job phase look into props.conf/transforms.conf before starting to search.

It explains why the "Parsing Job..." message would stay on for 2 minutes before having the search done in 1 second.

View solution in original post

rbal_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I just found what was the problem...

Found the issue to be with bloated props.conf. at $SPLUNk_HOME/etc/apps/learned/local/ was containing 50000+ sourcetypes.

It was caused by having source type set to automatic on one of our inputs. For each csv file that got indexed a new source type was created leading to a bloated props.conf. I also got rid of unused entries in transforms.conf.

So it looks like the parsing job phase look into props.conf/transforms.conf before starting to search.

It explains why the "Parsing Job..." message would stay on for 2 minutes before having the search done in 1 second.

k2bruce

Hello ,

We are facing the same issue now and may you advise how to resolve it? Thanks.

0 Karma

jwelsh_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The problem is solved by an input whose sourcetype is set to automatic, most likely from a file or directory input.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.2/Data/Bypassautomaticsourcetypeassignment

However, in 6.2+ I am not seeing a way to set sourcetype to automatic when setting up new data inputs. Best thing I can suggest is too do two things:

1. Run: $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/cmd btool inputs list --debug to display all inputs and try to determine erroneous sources of data, disable or modify where necessary.
  2. Move $SPLUNk_HOME/etc/apps/learned/local/props.conf and $SPLUNk_HOME/etc/apps/learned/local/sourcetypes.conf to a temp directory and restart Splunk.

This was successful for me today. Hope this helps - Good Luck!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...