Splunk Search

Why am I getting different results between these 2 searches?

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

Hi,
I'm using a search like this for a timerange of one single day:

sourcetype=A
| lookup lookup.csv id OUTPUT timestamp
| bucket span=1d _time
| eval flag=if(timestamp<=_time, "true", "false")
| stats dc(id) AS ids by flag

true -> 50
 false -> 10

I tried out another way to verify the distinct count of ids for flag=true, but the result is different:

sourcetype=A
| lookup lookup.csv id OUTPUT timestamp
| bucket span=1d _time
| search timestamp<=_time
| stats dc(id) AS ids

result -> 60

I can't find the reason for different results here.

Best regards

Heinz

edit:

The "search" command in the second example seems to be the reason. The result is 50 by using "where timestamp<=_time".
Can somebody tell me the difference of search and where here?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi HeinzWaescher,

The search command has two functions: used at the beginning of a search pipeline, it retrieves events from an index(es); used elsewhere in the pipeline, it filters the results of a previous search command.

The where command also filters the results of a previous search, but it uses the same expression syntax as the eval command and keeps only the results for which the evaluation was successful.

In other words, use where to filter/search/compare two fields and use search if you want to filter/search a specific value of some field.

hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi HeinzWaescher,

The search command has two functions: used at the beginning of a search pipeline, it retrieves events from an index(es); used elsewhere in the pipeline, it filters the results of a previous search command.

The where command also filters the results of a previous search, but it uses the same expression syntax as the eval command and keeps only the results for which the evaluation was successful.

In other words, use where to filter/search/compare two fields and use search if you want to filter/search a specific value of some field.

hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

Thanks, I will keep that in mind!

0 Karma

pedromvieira
Communicator

Your timestamp field isnt numeric.

From search documentation:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.1/SearchReference/Search

Comparison expression
<cmp>
Syntax: = | != | < |  | >=
Description: Comparison operators. You can use comparison expressions when searching field/value pairs. Comparison expressions with "=" and "!=" work with all field/value pairs. **Comparison expressions with  = work only with fields that have numeric values**.
0 Karma

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

Hm, why is this not a numeric value? Calculatiions work fine, e.g.

| eval sum=timestamp+_time
0 Karma

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

I've done another check which tells me that the both fields are numeric:

| eval isnum=if(isnum(timestamp), "true", "false") -> true
| eval isnum2=if(isnum(_time), "true", "false") -> true

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...