Splunk Search

When we talk about correlation, is it necessarily because a query is being made in 2 or more sources?

splunkcol
Builder

A question,

When we talk about correlation, is it necessarily because a query is being made in 2 or more sources?

Or is it also considered correlation when certain criteria are searched in a source to try to find a possible event or security incident?

For you what is correlation in Splunk?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkcol,

correlation is a general concept that letteraly means correlate information from different events or sources.

I use to speak of Correlation when I have more than one source.

I don't use to speak of correlation when I'm grouping more events from the same source but it could also be considered a correlation, as you prefer.

In Splunk Enterprise Security a Correlation Search is an alert (from one or more sources) or that usually generates a Notable.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

splunkcol
Builder

From your point of view and experience, is a multi-source correlation process easy or difficult?

Normally when you want to correlate in Splunk and not in Splunk ES, you tend to use subqueries? or combination of tables?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkcol,

the main problem in Splunk is to know what to do and not how to do it in SPL.

For this reason a correlaton search isn't easy or difficoult, it depends on how deeply I know the data sources I'm using: if I'm managing well known data sources, with all the field extractions and normalizrd data it's easy, using custom data source is longer to implement, not more difficoult!

I rarely use subsearches for their limits (50,000 results) and because each subsearch takes a CPU for all the execution tima, so I prefer a main search with more datasources to correlate using e.g. stats.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkcol,

correlation is a general concept that letteraly means correlate information from different events or sources.

I use to speak of Correlation when I have more than one source.

I don't use to speak of correlation when I'm grouping more events from the same source but it could also be considered a correlation, as you prefer.

In Splunk Enterprise Security a Correlation Search is an alert (from one or more sources) or that usually generates a Notable.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...