Splunk Search

What values should I use for replication and search factor in a Splunk multisite indexer cluster with one peer in site1 and two peers in site2?

hettervik
Builder

Hi!

I'm trying to configure a multisite indexer cluster with two sites; site1 and site2. There are one peer in site1, and two peers in site2. I don't think I quite grasp the concept of replication_factor and search_factor vs. site_replication_factor and site_search_factor. I want to set both site_replication_factor and site_search_factor to origin:1,total:2, and in that way keep one copy on the original site, and one on the other site. Also, I want to have the copies fully searchable, so I have to set replication_factor=2 and search_factor=2, right? When I use these values (see code sample below) I get Search Factor is Not Met and Replication Factor is Not Met errors, while when using replication_factor=1 and search_factor=1 everything seems fine. What does this mean using these values considering replication and search? any help would be much appreciated! 🙂

server.conf on master:

[clustering]
available_sites = site1,site2
mode = master
multisite = true
pass4SymmKey = $1$/UusYBk6nI5J
replication_factor = 2
search_factor = 2
site_replication_factor = origin:1,total:2
site_search_factor = origin:1,total:2
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

mahamed_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In multisite env site_replication_factor and site_search_factor are in use. The legacy replication_factor and search_factor are meant for single site cluster. You can leave these single site values as 1.

To achieve 2 searchable copies in your multisite env, your current setting is accurate.

View solution in original post

mahamed_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In multisite env site_replication_factor and site_search_factor are in use. The legacy replication_factor and search_factor are meant for single site cluster. You can leave these single site values as 1.

To achieve 2 searchable copies in your multisite env, your current setting is accurate.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...