Splunk Search

What should I use instead of foreach when iterating?

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

When running the following -

| makeresults 1 
| eval total=0 
| eval server1=host1 
| eval server2=host2
| eval server3=host3

| foreach server*

[ 
   | forwarderquery server=<<FIELD>> api="/services/server/info" stanza="unix_forwarder"
    contenttype="json" 
| spath path="entry{}" output=entry 
| fields - _raw 
| mvexpand entry 
| spath input=entry 
 ]

I get the error message -
Error in 'foreach' command: Search pipeline may not contain non-streaming commands

What can I do instead?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

elliotproebstel
Champion

How about using map instead? Something like this:

| makeresults 
| eval server=host1 
| append 
 [| makeresults
  | eval server=host2 ]
| append
 [| eval server=host3 ] 
 | map maxsearches=3  
  [| forwarderquery server="$server$" api="/services/server/info" stanza="unix_forwarder"
     contenttype="json" 
 | fields - _raw 
 | mvexpand entry 
 | spath input=entry ]

Note that you'll need to change the value of maxsearches if you change the number of servers you want to run this over. It's generally not a great idea to use map if you can avoid it, but on a limited scale, it's not terrible. Also, if somebody else has an idea that doesn't use map, then theirs will almost certainly perform better than mine!

View solution in original post

niketn
Legend

@ddrillic, the foreach command is supposed to run template version of eval command. So it is probably not the right option for your use case. Instead of having your outer search result as row with several columns i.e. server1, server2... etc, if you can have single column server with several rows host1, host2.. etc, then you can use map command instead to caryy out inner query for each results.
Following is a run anywhere example.

| makeresults 
 | fields - _time
 | eval server="host1,host2,host3"
 | makemv server delim=","
 | mvexpand server
 | eval total=0
 |  map search="| makeresults
                | fields - _time
                | eval serverList=\"$server$\""

Please confirm if this is what you need. PS: map command is restricted by subsearch limitation and maxsearches=10 is the default option. If your outer search has too many rows, there might be performance issue with the query.

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

@niketnilay, that works!

I see -

alt text

What's next? ; -)

0 Karma

elliotproebstel
Champion

Put your search inside the search=... section!

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Perfect -

| makeresults 
  | fields - _time
  | mvexpand server
  | eval total=0
  |  map search="| forwarderquery server=$server$ api="/services/server/info" stanza="unix_forwarder"
    contenttype="json" 
  | fields - _raw 
  | mvexpand entry 
  | spath input=entry
"

It says 3 results but shows only one event ; -)

0 Karma

elliotproebstel
Champion

You'll need to escape any double-quotes inside the mapped search. I suspect it's silently failing because of that. You may also need (escaped) double-quotes around the variable: server=\"$server$\".

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@ddrillic @elliotproebstel, when map command fails it logs the details under Job Inspector with position and error (in most cases ;)). Yes double quote needs to be escaped.

Refer to @woodcock's answer https://answers.splunk.com/answers/543009/field-not-fillled-through-eval-in-map.html where you can use [ ] to use search without having to escape double quotes.

elliotproebstel
Champion

Yeah, that's why I proposed that search structure in my answer - the original query had a lot of double quotes 🙂

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

😄 For no reasons, I actually prefer using double quotes and escaping all the values using backslash even though query looks much more complicated.

I feel @ddrillic is almost there as the error seems to be from service rather than map command. Hope he makes it through... Its too late for me now.. Anyways he is in good hands 🙂

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

I'll try...

Meanwhile there is another issue -
* [map]: command="forwarderquery", Error : Traceback: 'HTTPSConnectionPool(host='%5C$server%5C$', port=8089): Max retries exceeded with url: /services/server/info *

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@ddrillic, I hope you are currently trying query like the following , you also need to escape forward-slashes. Consider map command search string the same way as running a Regular Expression. So, escape all characters with their literal value using backslash i.e. \", \/ etc as needed.

Just FYI %5C is HTML encoded character for Backslash \. So seems like you have missed double quotes in $server$ i.e. \"$server$\"

| makeresults 
| fields - _time 
| mvexpand server 
| eval total=0 
| map search="| forwarderquery server=\"$server$\" api=\"\/services\/server\/info\" stanza=\"unix_forwarder\"
     contenttype=\"json\" 
   | spath path=\"entry{}\" output=entry 
   | fields - _raw 
   | mvexpand entry 
   | spath input=entry"

Further more seems like the error is from the service itself so it is being hit but with wrong value. (I am assuming this is what is happening)

elliotproebstel
Champion

How about using map instead? Something like this:

| makeresults 
| eval server=host1 
| append 
 [| makeresults
  | eval server=host2 ]
| append
 [| eval server=host3 ] 
 | map maxsearches=3  
  [| forwarderquery server="$server$" api="/services/server/info" stanza="unix_forwarder"
     contenttype="json" 
 | fields - _raw 
 | mvexpand entry 
 | spath input=entry ]

Note that you'll need to change the value of maxsearches if you change the number of servers you want to run this over. It's generally not a great idea to use map if you can avoid it, but on a limited scale, it's not terrible. Also, if somebody else has an idea that doesn't use map, then theirs will almost certainly perform better than mine!

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Great but there is a complaint - *Search Factory: Unknown search command 's'. * about server=$server.

0 Karma

elliotproebstel
Champion

Fixed! Try it again.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Still upset, screaming ; - ) - *Error in 'map' command: Unable to find saved search 'maxsearches=3'. *

0 Karma

elliotproebstel
Champion

Hmmm...It seems like maybe the maxsearches=3 part needs to go at the end? Sorry, I'm air coding at the moment, and clearly not doing that well!

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

It's all good ; - ) thank you!

0 Karma

elliotproebstel
Champion

Since you only have three values, you won't even really need maxsearches at all. Give it a try without it.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@elliotproebstel I am too late with my answer 🙂

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...