Splunk Search

What is this issue with the monitor stanza in inputs.conf?

Abha11
Explorer

I am having an issue with one of my monitor stanza in inputs.conf. The stanza is as below: 

[monitor://E:Speech\Tomcat2232\logs\abc-call-router.log]
index = x
sourcetype = y
blacklist = .(gz|tar|tgz|zip|bkz|arch|etc|tmp|swp|nfs|swn)$
disabled = 0

So I am expecting the above monitor to only ingest E:\Speech\Tomcat2232\logs\abc-call-router.log but it is also igesting E:\Speech\Tomcat2232\logs\abc-call-router.log.1 and E:\Speech\Tomcat2232\logs\abc-call-router.log.2 which I don't want to happen.

Does anyone knows why it is happening.?

I have been scratching my head. Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

I'm not sure if these helps bt at lest you should fix those.

[monitor://E:\Speech\Tomcat2232\logs\abc-call-router.log]
blacklist = \.(gz|tar|tgz|zip|bkz|arch|etc|tmp|swp|nfs|swn)$

As backlist is a regular expression you must escape . as \. Also you should add missing \ after drive letter.

You could se splunk btool inputs list --debug to check how splunk UF sees this stanza and where it takes those definitions.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

Abha11
Explorer

Hi @isoutamo ,

Thank you for the answer and trying to help me. 

I have added escape  ./ in blacklist. Since it is windows box so there shouldn't be third / after drive letter.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Hi
escape should be \. not ./
Based on documentation and experience that \ should be there between drive letter and top level directory
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...