Splunk Search

What is the moving window for in finding outliers?

sssignals
Path Finder

Hi Splunkers,

I referenced Splunk documentation on finding outliers below.

Why is there a need for moving a window? My use case is that I collect stats say port loading factor over the last 5 mins and calculate upper threshold ie. mean+3*sigma. If any stats in this 5 mins goes above the upper threshold, I declare that it is an outlier. Then I repeat everything for the stats that comes in the next 5mins. So there is no moving window. Am I doing it right? Or I need the moving window. Thanks for your advice.

| inputlookup quote.csv 
 | head 500 
 | eval _time=(round(strptime(time, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%SZ")))
 | streamstats window=100 avg("price") as 
   avg stdev("price") as stdev 
 | eval lowerBound=(avg-stdev*2) 
 | eval upperBound=(avg+stdev*2) 
 | eval isOutlier=if('price' < lowerBound 
   OR 'price' > upperBound, 1, 0) 
0 Karma

jraso
Explorer

I think that if you are using streamstats window=100 to compute avg and stdev, your moving window is exactly 100 events. This should correspond with your 5 minutes window.
In case you want to use all data as reference for finding outliers from avg and stdev, you should use eventstats to compute avg and stdev of all data in your search.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...