Splunk Search

What is the limit on the number of branches in a single CASE statement in Splunk, and how can I optimize my current eval case statement?

magorinahory

Hello,

I have defined api_names and calculating counts and sigma limits for alert based on uri stem.
Example uri stem: /api/v1/customer/details/customernumber/12345
I can't use regex here (or I am not that skilled). I've created this:

| eval cs_uri_stem=lower(cs_uri_stem)
| rex field=cs_uri_stem "/api/v\d/(?<api_name>\w+[a-z-]\w+).*"

However, it will parse out api name only till the first slash /, so I'll match customer. However, I do not match customer/details/customernumber as they follow between additional slashes.
Due to this limitation, I've created big case statement with 122 x 2 branches.

| eval api_name = case(
like(cs_uri_stem,"/api/v%/customers/%"),"customers",    like(cs_uri_stem,"/api/v%/customers%"),"customers",
like(cs_uri_stem,"/api/v%/customer-groups/%"),"customer-groups",    like(cs_uri_stem,"/api/v%/customer-groups%"),"customer-groups",
like(cs_uri_stem,"/api/v%/customer-bases/%"),"customer-bases",  like(cs_uri_stem,"/api/v%/customer-bases%"),"customer-bases",
like(cs_uri_stem,"/api/v%/customer/shippingaddresses/list/%"),"customer/shippingaddresses/list",    like(cs_uri_stem,"/api/v%/customer/shippingaddresses/list%"),"customer/shippingaddresses/list",
like(cs_uri_stem,"/api/v%/customer/search/%"),"customer/search",    like(cs_uri_stem,"/api/v%/customer/search%"),"customer/search",
like(cs_uri_stem,"/api/v%/customer/details/customernumber/%"),"customer/details/customernumber",    like(cs_uri_stem,"/api/v%/customer/details/customernumber%"),"customer/details/customernumber",
like(cs_uri_stem,"/api/v%/customer/%"),"customer",  like(cs_uri_stem,"/api/v%/customer%"),"customer",
1=1,"OTHER")

Now questions:

1. What is the SPLUNK limitation on the number of branches in a single CASE statement?
2. What is impact of running such big case statement?
3. I assume that SPLUNK case statement is working in same manner as in SQL, so I've organized patterns in descending order to match first customer/details/customernumber and customer only on the rest. Am I correct?
4. Is there any opportunity to optimize this case statement?
5. Is there any alternative? (already thinking about leveraging rex and do it in multiple levels like customer = api_name_L1, details = api_name_L2, customernumnber = api_name_L3

I'll appreciate any help/comments here.

Thank you!
m.

Tags (5)
0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this regex to extract path till last slash. This might eliminate the need to have a complex case statement.

v\d+(?<path>[\w\/]+)\/
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...