Splunk Search

What is the difference between the Eval and the FIELDALIAS commands?

shayhibah
Path Finder

I am wondering what is the difference between eval & fieldalias commands?

For example:
EVAL-app = if(isnull(service),app,service)
FIELDALIAS-log = service AS app

In the first case, if service is null, app stay as is.
In the second case, if service is null, app is null.

Can someone explain it please?
Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@shayhibah

Search-time operation sequence will help you to understand this. 🙂

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.0/Knowledge/Searchtimeoperationssequence

Thanks

shayhibah
Path Finder

I read this page and it gave me some more information but I still cannot understand why the output of FILEDALIAS is null in some cases.

0 Karma

lwest_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@shayhibah please see the answer I placed on your other answers ask found here:

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/657473/fieldalias-override-another-fieldalias.html?childToView=76...

Hope this helps give some clarity to you for the FIELDALIAS function and its limitations!

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@shayhibah

1)

EVAL-app = if(isnull(service),app,service)

In this case, we are deciding app field on the basis of the service. If service is not available then app will be the same value available in the event. which can be null (if app not found in the event) or not null (if app found in the event). So if service field is available then service will be assigned to the app field. if service field is not available then app will be assigned to app (if the event has app field ). if app field is not available then app will be null.

FIELDALIAS-log = service AS app

In this case, we are deciding app field on the basis of the service field regardless of field available or not. So if service field is available then service will be assigned to the app. if service field is not available then app will be null.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...