Splunk Search

What is the difference between eventtype and macro?

jip31
Motivator

Hi

Even if i have read some documentations, i have difficulty to understand the difference between macro and eventtype

I use macro essentially for index + sourcetype agregation but is somebody can clearly explaining me the difference between macro and eventtype?

Thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jip31,

an eventtype is a search used to tag some events, in an eventtype you can put only the main search, in other words, you canot have pipes.

A macro is a part of code in which you can put many code statements (also with many pipes) with diferent following commands.

If you need only of a search e.g. with index and sourcetype), you can use both eventtype or macro, the main difference is that using a macro, you cannot associate a tag to your eventtype.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jip31,

an eventtype is a search used to tag some events, in an eventtype you can put only the main search, in other words, you canot have pipes.

A macro is a part of code in which you can put many code statements (also with many pipes) with diferent following commands.

If you need only of a search e.g. with index and sourcetype), you can use both eventtype or macro, the main difference is that using a macro, you cannot associate a tag to your eventtype.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

jip31
Motivator

Hi

Thanks its clear now

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jip31,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the contributors 😉

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Macros are just text replacement and can be anything not just indexes/source types

0 Karma

jip31
Motivator

Yes i know

I just said that actually i use macro for grouping index + sourcetype but i know i can use other fields

But i come back to my question

What is the difference with eventtype ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...