Splunk Search

What is the best way to track URLs visited for a user?

ivar9692
Explorer

Hi, I want to know what url user visited after going to a particular url.

Suppose this is the url user visited (www.**cccc**.com), I want to know what pages he visited after that url.

[Please suggest a query for this, I have proxy logs in splunk]

0 Karma

aaraneta_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @ivar9692 - Did dperre's answer help solve your question at all? If yes, please don't forget to click "Accept" below the answer to resolve this post. Thanks!

0 Karma

dperre_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Try this search. I don't know what your field names are but you could try this.

index=proxy_logs | transaction user startswith="www.trackedurl.com" maxevents=100

Edit:
Putting some context around the search and improving the search.
index=proxy_logs user=x #This searches the proxy_logs index for user X. You can change.
transaction user startswith="www.trackedurl.com" maxevents=100 # Join all of the results by the user starting with the www.trackedurl.com url then getting a maximum event number of 100. So from the start of the first www.trackedurl.com go to 100 later events. You can increase or lower this number.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Can we have some sample log entries? You probably need field extraction, if not already done, to capture pages and report from those fields.

0 Karma

ivar9692
Explorer

Hi somesoni,

I have bluecoat logs, indexed in splunk. I need to extract information from url field. Condition I want is : if someone visited url: www.###.com then after that what are the next 5 url he visited.
Note here output i need is users who visited www.####.com and next 5 websited they visited.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...