Splunk Search

What is splunk definition for yesterday time range?

Indu
Engager

Hi ,

I have an alert scheduled to run every day 7 am and this runs on Time Range : Yesterday.

Wanted to know how Splunk interprets this. If today is a Thursday, am I supposed to get all data until Wednesday  7 am as a cutoff time? or is it Wednesday 23:59:59 as the cut off time?

Please advise on the above. Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

inventsekar
Ultra Champion

Hi @Indu ...

Wanted to know how Splunk interprets this. If today is a Thursday, am I supposed to get all data until Wednesday  7 am as a cutoff time? or is it Wednesday 23:59:59 as the cut off time?

the alert timerange, you can very fine-tune, same like the search queries.

when the alert runs for "yesterday"... it is the previous day (in your case, the wednesday 00:00 to 23:59).

when you mean, last 24hrs, it means, wednesday 7am to thursday 7am. 

hope you got it.. pls let us know if its still not clear. 

if you give us the search query for the alert, then, we may be able to help you better as well. thanks. 

Best Regards,

Sekar

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In addition, you can examine empirically by searching a busy index such as _internal using addinfo.

index=_internal
| addinfo
| head 1
| table info*_time
| eval info_max_time = strftime(info_max_time, "%F %H:%M:%S"), info_min_time = strftime(info_min_time, "%F %H:%M:%S")

For Yesterday, the result is

info_max_timeinfo_min_timeinfo_search_time
2023-03-08 00:00:002023-03-07 00:00:001678337476.679
Tags (1)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...