Splunk Search

What I did wrong here with makeresults command

thinhdinh
Path Finder

Hello experts,

I am trying to create a custom macro, from that it will returns a result depends on the argument I pass to it, like this:

| makeresults | eval param=1 | eval result=case(param == 1, "one", param == 2, "two", param == 3, "three", true(), "Invalid number") | table result

The above searching query works well if I copy whole query and paste to the search bar 

| makeresults | eval param=$param$ | eval result=case(param == 1, "one", param == 2, "two", param == 3, "three", true(), "invalid input") | table result

But when I used as a macro

`getNumber(param=1)`

I got an error

Error in 'makeresults' command: This command must be the first command of a search.

How can I solve this issue? Basically this macro will be used in another macro.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@thinhdinh,

At the moment, we are not able to use a leading | inside macro definition. It's documented in Pipe characters and generating commands in macro definitions 

Instead you can remove the pipe(|) from definition and use it while invoking it

|`getNumber(1)`

and definition would be

makeresults | eval param=$param$ | eval result=case(param == 1, "one", param == 2, "two", param == 3, "three", true(), "invalid input") | table result
Happy Splunking!

View solution in original post

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@thinhdinh,

At the moment, we are not able to use a leading | inside macro definition. It's documented in Pipe characters and generating commands in macro definitions 

Instead you can remove the pipe(|) from definition and use it while invoking it

|`getNumber(1)`

and definition would be

makeresults | eval param=$param$ | eval result=case(param == 1, "one", param == 2, "two", param == 3, "three", true(), "invalid input") | table result
Happy Splunking!

thinhdinh
Path Finder

Thank you for your answer! the error has gone. But the macro always returns the value of true() case, even I pass 1 or 2 as argument. Do you have any idea @renjith_nair ?

0 Karma

thinhdinh
Path Finder

Oh I was missing the quote mark. Now it works correctly. Thank you again @renjith_nair .

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...