Splunk Search

What I did wrong here with makeresults command

thinhdinh
Path Finder

Hello experts,

I am trying to create a custom macro, from that it will returns a result depends on the argument I pass to it, like this:

| makeresults | eval param=1 | eval result=case(param == 1, "one", param == 2, "two", param == 3, "three", true(), "Invalid number") | table result

The above searching query works well if I copy whole query and paste to the search bar 

| makeresults | eval param=$param$ | eval result=case(param == 1, "one", param == 2, "two", param == 3, "three", true(), "invalid input") | table result

But when I used as a macro

`getNumber(param=1)`

I got an error

Error in 'makeresults' command: This command must be the first command of a search.

How can I solve this issue? Basically this macro will be used in another macro.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

renjith_nair
Legend

@thinhdinh,

At the moment, we are not able to use a leading | inside macro definition. It's documented in Pipe characters and generating commands in macro definitions 

Instead you can remove the pipe(|) from definition and use it while invoking it

|`getNumber(1)`

and definition would be

makeresults | eval param=$param$ | eval result=case(param == 1, "one", param == 2, "two", param == 3, "three", true(), "invalid input") | table result
Happy Splunking!

View solution in original post

renjith_nair
Legend

@thinhdinh,

At the moment, we are not able to use a leading | inside macro definition. It's documented in Pipe characters and generating commands in macro definitions 

Instead you can remove the pipe(|) from definition and use it while invoking it

|`getNumber(1)`

and definition would be

makeresults | eval param=$param$ | eval result=case(param == 1, "one", param == 2, "two", param == 3, "three", true(), "invalid input") | table result
Happy Splunking!

thinhdinh
Path Finder

Thank you for your answer! the error has gone. But the macro always returns the value of true() case, even I pass 1 or 2 as argument. Do you have any idea @renjith_nair ?

0 Karma

thinhdinh
Path Finder

Oh I was missing the quote mark. Now it works correctly. Thank you again @renjith_nair .

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...