Splunk Search

Validating if 100 nodes are on boarded in splunk indexes or not. If not ?

jcorcoran508
Path Finder

I have this task were I am successful in getting result sets from nodes that are present in my splunk instance.

How ever I can't find a way to announce in the spl syntax if the Name of the Node that doesn't exist with a Yes or no value in another field

i.e.

Node            present

Appserver   No

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jcorcoran508,

I think that Node is the hostname or a field of each system that's sending logs.

In this way you could create a lookup (called e.g. perimeter.csv) containing all the Nodes to monitor (at least one field called e.g. Node or host, in the following example Node), then you have to run a search like this:

index=your_index
| eval Node=lower(Node)
| stats count BY Node
| append [ | inputlookup perimeter.csv | eval Node=lower(Node), count=0, | fields Node count ]
| stats sum(count) AS total BY Node
| eval present=if(total=0,"No","Yes")
| table Node present

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jcorcoran508,

I think that Node is the hostname or a field of each system that's sending logs.

In this way you could create a lookup (called e.g. perimeter.csv) containing all the Nodes to monitor (at least one field called e.g. Node or host, in the following example Node), then you have to run a search like this:

index=your_index
| eval Node=lower(Node)
| stats count BY Node
| append [ | inputlookup perimeter.csv | eval Node=lower(Node), count=0, | fields Node count ]
| stats sum(count) AS total BY Node
| eval present=if(total=0,"No","Yes")
| table Node present

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jcorcoran508,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking.

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...