Splunk Search

Using three events without common fields to get list of IDs

RyanJWilliams
Engager

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to get my hands on a list of IDs which are determined by referring to three events. I have to not use things such as join, transaction, or sub-search due to the event limits involved.

Specifically, I have:

1. Event A which contains a req_id
  2. Event B which contains the same req_id and a correlationId
  3. Event C which does not contain a req_id but contains the correlationId from Event B and also a personId that I need

The reason I need to use Event A rather than just look at Event B and Event C is because there are numerous occurrences of Event B that are unrelated, so I first have to ensure they can be associated with an Event A.

TLDR! I need the list of personId values that come from Event C, but first I need to make sure they are associated with Event A and Event B — the challenge being there is no one value contained by all three.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this

-- your search with all types of events
| eventstats values(correlationId) as correlationId by req_id
| eventstats values(personId) as personId by correlationId

Event A should now have all three ids

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this

-- your search with all types of events
| eventstats values(correlationId) as correlationId by req_id
| eventstats values(personId) as personId by correlationId

Event A should now have all three ids

RyanJWilliams
Engager

If it helps, here is roughly what I did to achieve this using transaction, but because I need to run it over months this very quickly exhausts Splunk's event limits:

(Event A)
OR (Event B)
OR (Event C)
| transaction correlationId
| where Event B OR Event C
| transaction req_id
| where Event C
| where personId!=""
| stats count by personId
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...