Splunk Search

Using three events without common fields to get list of IDs

RyanJWilliams
Engager

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to get my hands on a list of IDs which are determined by referring to three events. I have to not use things such as join, transaction, or sub-search due to the event limits involved.

Specifically, I have:

1. Event A which contains a req_id
  2. Event B which contains the same req_id and a correlationId
  3. Event C which does not contain a req_id but contains the correlationId from Event B and also a personId that I need

The reason I need to use Event A rather than just look at Event B and Event C is because there are numerous occurrences of Event B that are unrelated, so I first have to ensure they can be associated with an Event A.

TLDR! I need the list of personId values that come from Event C, but first I need to make sure they are associated with Event A and Event B — the challenge being there is no one value contained by all three.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this

-- your search with all types of events
| eventstats values(correlationId) as correlationId by req_id
| eventstats values(personId) as personId by correlationId

Event A should now have all three ids

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this

-- your search with all types of events
| eventstats values(correlationId) as correlationId by req_id
| eventstats values(personId) as personId by correlationId

Event A should now have all three ids

RyanJWilliams
Engager

If it helps, here is roughly what I did to achieve this using transaction, but because I need to run it over months this very quickly exhausts Splunk's event limits:

(Event A)
OR (Event B)
OR (Event C)
| transaction correlationId
| where Event B OR Event C
| transaction req_id
| where Event C
| where personId!=""
| stats count by personId
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...