Splunk Search

Using the value of a subsearch in main search

tomscott21
Engager

I am trying to create a search that gets the top value of a search and saves it to a variable:

| eval top=[| eval MB_in=bytes_in/1024/1024 | stats sum(MB_in) by c_ip | rename sum(MB_in) as "Total Megabytes in" | sort -"Total Megabytes in" | head 1 | eval topval=c_ip | return $topval]

I want to then use this value in the main search.

This is currently returning the following error:
Error in 'eval' command: Failed to parse the provided arguments. Usage: eval dest_key = expression.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

manjunathmeti
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Value should be returned from a sub-search. Change your query to:

| eval top=[search <subsearch_query>| eval MB_in=bytes_out/1024/1024 | stats sum(MB_in) by c_ip | rename sum(MB_in) as "Total Megabytes Out" | sort -"Total Megabytes Out" | head 1 | eval topval=c_ip | return $topval]

If you are using top to filter base search results, then you can do this.

<base_search> top=[search <subsearch_query>| eval MB_in=bytes_out/1024/1024 | stats sum(MB_in) by c_ip | rename sum(MB_in) as "Total Megabytes Out" | sort -"Total Megabytes Out" | head 1 | eval topval=c_ip | return $topval]

View solution in original post

manjunathmeti
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Value should be returned from a sub-search. Change your query to:

| eval top=[search <subsearch_query>| eval MB_in=bytes_out/1024/1024 | stats sum(MB_in) by c_ip | rename sum(MB_in) as "Total Megabytes Out" | sort -"Total Megabytes Out" | head 1 | eval topval=c_ip | return $topval]

If you are using top to filter base search results, then you can do this.

<base_search> top=[search <subsearch_query>| eval MB_in=bytes_out/1024/1024 | stats sum(MB_in) by c_ip | rename sum(MB_in) as "Total Megabytes Out" | sort -"Total Megabytes Out" | head 1 | eval topval=c_ip | return $topval]

tomscott21
Engager

I have run the first search, I am now being returned with the error "Error in 'eval' command: The number is invalid.", what does this mean?

0 Karma

manjunathmeti
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's type of the value is string then you need to format it:

| eval top=[search | eval MB_in=bytes_out/1024/1024 | stats sum(MB_in) by c_ip | rename sum(MB_in) as "Total Megabytes Out" | sort -"Total Megabytes Out" | head 1 | eval topval=c_ip | return $topval | format ]

you can simplify this query. Return command returns first row value by default.

| eval top=[search <subsearch_query> | stats sum(bytes_out) as "Total Bytes Out" by c_ip | sort -"Total Bytes Out" | return $c_ip | format ]
0 Karma

tomscott21
Engager

Amazing, so I now have a field called top in my main search - this is an IP. I am now trying to use this top value to filter the c_ip field. I have done this by searching for |search c_ip=top. This in not returning any results. am i filtering this in the correct way?

0 Karma

manjunathmeti
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Then you don't need to format, you can filter main search like this.

| search c_ip=[search <subsearch_query> | stats sum(bytes_out) as "Total Bytes Out" by c_ip | sort -"Total Bytes Out" | return $c_ip ]
0 Karma

tomscott21
Engager

You are the splunk god, thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...