Splunk Search

Using the value of a subsearch in main search

tomscott21
Engager

I am trying to create a search that gets the top value of a search and saves it to a variable:

| eval top=[| eval MB_in=bytes_in/1024/1024 | stats sum(MB_in) by c_ip | rename sum(MB_in) as "Total Megabytes in" | sort -"Total Megabytes in" | head 1 | eval topval=c_ip | return $topval]

I want to then use this value in the main search.

This is currently returning the following error:
Error in 'eval' command: Failed to parse the provided arguments. Usage: eval dest_key = expression.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

manjunathmeti
Champion

Value should be returned from a sub-search. Change your query to:

| eval top=[search <subsearch_query>| eval MB_in=bytes_out/1024/1024 | stats sum(MB_in) by c_ip | rename sum(MB_in) as "Total Megabytes Out" | sort -"Total Megabytes Out" | head 1 | eval topval=c_ip | return $topval]

If you are using top to filter base search results, then you can do this.

<base_search> top=[search <subsearch_query>| eval MB_in=bytes_out/1024/1024 | stats sum(MB_in) by c_ip | rename sum(MB_in) as "Total Megabytes Out" | sort -"Total Megabytes Out" | head 1 | eval topval=c_ip | return $topval]

View solution in original post

manjunathmeti
Champion

Value should be returned from a sub-search. Change your query to:

| eval top=[search <subsearch_query>| eval MB_in=bytes_out/1024/1024 | stats sum(MB_in) by c_ip | rename sum(MB_in) as "Total Megabytes Out" | sort -"Total Megabytes Out" | head 1 | eval topval=c_ip | return $topval]

If you are using top to filter base search results, then you can do this.

<base_search> top=[search <subsearch_query>| eval MB_in=bytes_out/1024/1024 | stats sum(MB_in) by c_ip | rename sum(MB_in) as "Total Megabytes Out" | sort -"Total Megabytes Out" | head 1 | eval topval=c_ip | return $topval]

tomscott21
Engager

I have run the first search, I am now being returned with the error "Error in 'eval' command: The number is invalid.", what does this mean?

0 Karma

manjunathmeti
Champion

It's type of the value is string then you need to format it:

| eval top=[search | eval MB_in=bytes_out/1024/1024 | stats sum(MB_in) by c_ip | rename sum(MB_in) as "Total Megabytes Out" | sort -"Total Megabytes Out" | head 1 | eval topval=c_ip | return $topval | format ]

you can simplify this query. Return command returns first row value by default.

| eval top=[search <subsearch_query> | stats sum(bytes_out) as "Total Bytes Out" by c_ip | sort -"Total Bytes Out" | return $c_ip | format ]
0 Karma

tomscott21
Engager

Amazing, so I now have a field called top in my main search - this is an IP. I am now trying to use this top value to filter the c_ip field. I have done this by searching for |search c_ip=top. This in not returning any results. am i filtering this in the correct way?

0 Karma

manjunathmeti
Champion

Then you don't need to format, you can filter main search like this.

| search c_ip=[search <subsearch_query> | stats sum(bytes_out) as "Total Bytes Out" by c_ip | sort -"Total Bytes Out" | return $c_ip ]
0 Karma

tomscott21
Engager

You are the splunk god, thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...