Splunk Search

Using stats count by to query the number of policies?

soulmaker24
Engager

Hello,

I am trying to figured out how I could list a report by showing the total number of policies in my query. 

I have the sample Event below:

{ [-]
  auth : { [-]
    display_name: sample-name
    policies: [ [-]
      admin
    ]
  }
  type: request
}

So, when I am using a search query below, I got a result of number of display_name.

type="request" | stats count by auth.display_name

However,  what I need is to show me the result count of the policies which in this case the default and admin. I am using the query below but it does not give me any result.

type="request" | stats count by auth.policies

Would someone be able to guide me what is the correct syntax to use to get the result I want?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yeahnah
Motivator

Hi @soulmaker24 

The auth.policies{} field is array, so in this case, results in a multi value field.  For stats command to group by that field it needs to be a single value which can be done use the mvexpand command, like this...

type="request"
| mvexpand auth.policies{}
| stats count BY auth.policies{}

Also, for next time, showing the event is really useful, it is more useful if you add it with syntax highlighting turned off - basically the _raw event.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

0 Karma

yeahnah
Motivator

Hi @soulmaker24 

The auth.policies{} field is array, so in this case, results in a multi value field.  For stats command to group by that field it needs to be a single value which can be done use the mvexpand command, like this...

type="request"
| mvexpand auth.policies{}
| stats count BY auth.policies{}

Also, for next time, showing the event is really useful, it is more useful if you add it with syntax highlighting turned off - basically the _raw event.

Hope this helps

0 Karma

soulmaker24
Engager

Thank you, I did realise I am missing the {} at the end. Appreciate your help on this one. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...