Splunk Search

Using split function for two conditions?

michaeler
Communicator

So I have a field named "domain" that has values of single domains (A, B, C) and combinations of domains with two different values.

A
B
C
A/B
A/C
A, B
C, D
I can successfully split the values by either "," or "/" with eval new_field1=(domain,",") but if I do another one after with eval new_field1=(domain,"/") or eval new_field2=(new_field1,"/") after it doesn't work.

Is there a way to split by both "," and "/"

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@michaeler 

You can do it with a rex statement and a single mvexpand, e.g.

| rex field=domain max_match=0 "\s?(?<Ds>[^,/]*)([,/])?"
| mvexpand Ds

The regex will strip out all leading spaces (e.g. the space in your example) and then break out all the matches terminated by either , or /

max_match=0 means it will find all possible matches and make the result an MV field, you can then expand.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Consider normalizing the data before splitting it.

| eval domain=replace(domain, ", ", "/")
| eval domain=split(domain,"/")
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

michaeler
Communicator

Figured it out...

| eval Ds=split(domain, ",")
| mvexpand Ds
| eval Domain=split(Ds, "/")
| mvexpand Domain

If there is another solution to this I'd love to learn a better way.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@michaeler 

You can do it with a rex statement and a single mvexpand, e.g.

| rex field=domain max_match=0 "\s?(?<Ds>[^,/]*)([,/])?"
| mvexpand Ds

The regex will strip out all leading spaces (e.g. the space in your example) and then break out all the matches terminated by either , or /

max_match=0 means it will find all possible matches and make the result an MV field, you can then expand.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...