Splunk Search

Using regex in field extraction

TheBravoSierra
Path Finder

Hi,

I'm trying to create a field extraction(extension) that goes off an existing field(TargetFilename) but it isn't working. Any ideas? Tried with and without quotes. 

For example: 

xmlwineventlog : EXTRACT-extensionInlineTargetFilename .*\.(?<extension>[\S\s+]*)

Works here in search: 

| rex field=TargetFilename ".*\.(?<extension>[\S\s+]*)"
Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@TheBravoSierra 

Can you please try this?

props.conf

[My_source_type]
REPORT-extension = extract_extension

transforms.conf

[extract_extension]
REGEX =<Data Name='TargetFilename'>([^.]+)(?<extension>.\w+)<\/Data>
FORMAT = extension:$3

Note: I have tried with below sample events.

TargetFilename=a.txt
TargetFilename=b.txt
TargetFilename="c.txt"

Please share sample events in case this is  not working .

Thanks
KV
▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一

If any of my reply helps you to solve the problem Or gain knowledge, an upvote would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you sure TargetFilename is an extracted field?  Do you get results from this query?

index=foo | table TargetFilename

If not then the field is not extracted and you should try a different regex.

Share a sample event and we may be able to help more.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@TheBravoSierra 

Can you please try this?

props.conf

[My_source_type]
REPORT-extension = extract_extension

transforms.conf

[extract_extension]
REGEX =<Data Name='TargetFilename'>([^.]+)(?<extension>.\w+)<\/Data>
FORMAT = extension:$3

Note: I have tried with below sample events.

TargetFilename=a.txt
TargetFilename=b.txt
TargetFilename="c.txt"

Please share sample events in case this is  not working .

Thanks
KV
▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一

If any of my reply helps you to solve the problem Or gain knowledge, an upvote would be appreciated.

TheBravoSierra
Path Finder
<Event xmlns='omitted><System><Provider Name='Microsoft-Windows-Sysmon' Guid='{omitted}'/><EventID>2</EventID><Version>4</Version><Level>4</Level><Task>2</Task><Opcode>0</Opcode><Keywords>omitted</Keywords><TimeCreated SystemTime='2021-06-09T16:31:46.813927400Z'/><EventRecordID>947063</EventRecordID><Correlation/><Execution ProcessID='4824' ThreadID='6932'/><Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Sysmon/Operational</Channel><Computer>omitted</Computer><Security UserID='S-1-5-18'/></System><EventData><Data Name='RuleName'></Data><Data Name='UtcTime'>2021-06-09 16:31:46.813</Data><Data Name='ProcessGuid'>{omitted}</Data><Data Name='ProcessId'>11932</Data><Data Name='Image'>C:\Users\omitted\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\current\Teams.exe</Data><Data Name='TargetFilename'>C:\Users\omitted\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations\EJ5T0WEDS801S4OF2UEY.temp</Data><Data Name='CreationUtcTime'>2020-04-21 21:00:25.187</Data><Data Name='PreviousCreationUtcTime'>2021-06-09 16:31:46.802</Data></EventData></Event>

So this one for example would extract .temp from the filename EJ5T0WEDS801S4OF2UEY.temp
Thanks a bunch for the help.

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@TheBravoSierra 

Can you please check my updated answer?

KV

0 Karma

TheBravoSierra
Path Finder

Yes that worked, thank you!

Could you also help me figure out why these won't work?

[extract_file]
REGEX =<Data Name='TargetFilename'>.*\\\\(?<file>[\S\s+]*)<\/Data>
FORMAT = file:$3

[extract_md5]
REGEX =<Data Name='Hashes'>MD5=(?<MD5>[a-fA-F0-9]{1,32}),SHA256=(?<SHA256>[a-zA-Z0-9]{33,64})<\/Data>
FORMAT = md5:$3

[extract_sha256]
REGEX =<Data Name='Hashes'>SHA256=(?<SHA256>[a-zA-Z0-9]{33,64})<\/Data>
FORMAT = sha256:$3

TargetFilename data can use event previously provided. 
Example data with Hashes:

<Event xmlns='http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event'><System><Provider Name='Microsoft-Windows-Sysmon' Guid='{}'/><EventID>1</EventID><Version>5</Version><Level>4</Level><Task>1</Task><Opcode>0</Opcode><Keywords></Keywords><TimeCreated SystemTime='2021-06-09T17:56:51.779403700Z'/><EventRecordID></EventRecordID><Correlation/></Data><Data Name='TerminalSessionId'>0</Data><Data Name='IntegrityLevel'>System</Data><Data Name='Hashes'>MD5=E17F9289D944626831D63E4394C195B3,SHA256=5F403F6BD0F55162B8E98786D1FB3475C0D414AB18128C270119E18AA53E4CDE</Data><Data Name='ParentProcessGuid'>{}</Data><Data Name='ParentProcessId'></Data><Data Name='ParentImage'>C:\Program Files\Confer\RepMgr.exe</Data><Data Name='ParentCommandLine'>"C:\Program Files\Confer\RepMgr.exe"</Data></EventData></Event>

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@TheBravoSierra 

Can you please try this?

[extract_file]
REGEX =<Data Name='TargetFilename'>([^<]*)
FORMAT = file::$1

[extract_md5]
REGEX =<Data Name='Hashes'>MD5=([^,]+)
FORMAT = md5::$1

[extract_sha256]
REGEX =SHA256=([^<]+)
FORMAT = sha256::$1

Thanks
KV
▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一

alemarzu
Motivator

@TheBravoSierra hello there.

I believe you are having some issues with your regex. Without knowing your events I could suggest something like this. 

| rex field=TargetFilename "\.(?<file_extension>[^\.]+$)"

0 Karma

TheBravoSierra
Path Finder

I apologize, the issue is not with the rex command but with adding it to Settings >> Fields >> Field Extractions. 

I want it to be automatically extracted so this rex command is not needed in the search bar to populate the field.

Does that help?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...