Splunk Search

Using calculated values to create timechart -- too many columns

EricLloyd79
Builder

Hello, I know this type of question has been asked several times: ex:

http://answers.splunk.com/answers/11020/display-calculated-values-in-a-timechart

But I have tried that example and am getting column bars for my total when I just want column bars for my calculated values. Im basically trying to create a chart that return the percentages of a total value but I dont want the values I used (count, total) to be included on the timechart. Here is my query:

XXXXXX NOT(resultType=XXXX) activity=foo OR activity=bar
| timechart span=1h count by activity
| eval total = foo + bar
| eval percAddTrials = round(foo*100/total,1)
| eval percAddSub = round(bar*100/total,1)

I've been working on this for a few days. I started initially trying to use appendcols and that seemed to work somewhat as well:

XXXXX NOT(resultType=XXX) activity=foo
| timechart span=1h count as foo_total
| appendcols
[search XXXXX NOT(resultType=XXX) activity=bar
| timechart span=1h count as bar_total]
| eval total = foo_total + bar_total
| eval percFoo = round(foo_total*100/total,1)
| eval percBar = round(bar_total*100/total,1)

But this gave me the same issue of displaying the column bars of total and the counts. Any suggestions?

0 Karma
1 Solution

jhupka
Path Finder

If you only want the percAddTrials and percAddSub to remain just do the following with your search (add fields fommand):

XXXXXX NOT(resultType=XXXX) activity=foo OR activity=bar | timechart span=1h count by activity | eval total = foo + bar | eval percAddTrials = round(foo100/total,1) | eval percAddSub = round(bar100/total,1) | fields percAddTrials, percAddSub

View solution in original post

jhupka
Path Finder

If you only want the percAddTrials and percAddSub to remain just do the following with your search (add fields fommand):

XXXXXX NOT(resultType=XXXX) activity=foo OR activity=bar | timechart span=1h count by activity | eval total = foo + bar | eval percAddTrials = round(foo100/total,1) | eval percAddSub = round(bar100/total,1) | fields percAddTrials, percAddSub

EricLloyd79
Builder

That worked Its always the simple stuff. Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...