Splunk Search

Using a subsearch to get the time of an event

jwestberg
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I am trying to get the latest timestamp in the index, and then searching for that time. I constructed a search to accomplish this:

* | head 1 | fields _time

However, putting this into a subsearch, does not return any events.

* [SEARCH * | head 1 | fields _time ]

_time seems to be filtered out of the subsearch results. How do I avoid this?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

steveyz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

subsearch results always ignore internal fields (those that start with _) when constructing the outer query.

What you have to do is to set the value of a special field 'search' to contain the exact outer query string you want, i.e.

* [search * | head 1 | eval search = "_time=" . _time | fields search] 

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Really you could do this:

* [ search * | head 1 | eval earliest=_time | eval latest=_time | return earliest,latest ]
0 Karma

steveyz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

subsearch results always ignore internal fields (those that start with _) when constructing the outer query.

What you have to do is to set the value of a special field 'search' to contain the exact outer query string you want, i.e.

* [search * | head 1 | eval search = "_time=" . _time | fields search] 

carasso
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Much simpler:

* [ search * | return _time ]
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...