Splunk Search

Using a subsearch in a lookup

jwhughes58
Contributor

I've got two searches I'm trying to join into one.

| localop 
| ldapsearch domain=my_domain search="(&(objectCategory=Computer)(userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=xxxx))" 
| table cn, dNSHostName

And

| makeresults 
| eval fqdn="www.usatoday.com" 
| lookup dnslookup clienthost AS fqdn OUTPUT clientip as ip

What I would like is a table that has hostname, FQDN, and IP Address.  I've tried various subsearch methods to join them, but I must have something off since I either get an error or nothing.  Any thoughts?

TIA,

Joe

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jwhughes58,

You can simply add dnslookup into your first search. There is no need subsearch;

| localop 
| ldapsearch domain=my_domain search="(&(objectCategory=Computer)(userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=xxxx))" 
| lookup dnslookup clienthost AS dNSHostName OUTPUT clientip as ip
| table cn, dNSHostName, ip
If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jwhughes58,

You can simply add dnslookup into your first search. There is no need subsearch;

| localop 
| lookup dnslookup clienthost AS dNSHostName OUTPUT clientip as ip
| table cn, dNSHostName, ip
If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

jwhughes58
Contributor

Doh!  There are times when I forget how Splunk works and try treating it like a programming language.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

| localop 
| table cn, dNSHostName
| append [
  | makeresults 
]
| stats values(*) as *

or assuming that the cn is the fqdn, then this

| localop 
| table cn, dNSHostName
| append [
  | makeresults 
  | rename fqdn as cn
]
| stats values(*) as * by cn
0 Karma

jwhughes58
Contributor

I see I explained my question badly bowesmana.  I was going to update it today with a better explanation, but scelikok answered it.  Thanks for the reply.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...