Splunk Search

Using a subsearch in a lookup

jwhughes58
Contributor

I've got two searches I'm trying to join into one.

| localop 
| ldapsearch domain=my_domain search="(&(objectCategory=Computer)(userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=xxxx))" 
| table cn, dNSHostName

And

| makeresults 
| eval fqdn="www.usatoday.com" 
| lookup dnslookup clienthost AS fqdn OUTPUT clientip as ip

What I would like is a table that has hostname, FQDN, and IP Address.  I've tried various subsearch methods to join them, but I must have something off since I either get an error or nothing.  Any thoughts?

TIA,

Joe

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jwhughes58,

You can simply add dnslookup into your first search. There is no need subsearch;

| localop 
| ldapsearch domain=my_domain search="(&(objectCategory=Computer)(userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=xxxx))" 
| lookup dnslookup clienthost AS dNSHostName OUTPUT clientip as ip
| table cn, dNSHostName, ip
If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jwhughes58,

You can simply add dnslookup into your first search. There is no need subsearch;

| localop 
| lookup dnslookup clienthost AS dNSHostName OUTPUT clientip as ip
| table cn, dNSHostName, ip
If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

jwhughes58
Contributor

Doh!  There are times when I forget how Splunk works and try treating it like a programming language.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

| localop 
| table cn, dNSHostName
| append [
  | makeresults 
]
| stats values(*) as *

or assuming that the cn is the fqdn, then this

| localop 
| table cn, dNSHostName
| append [
  | makeresults 
  | rename fqdn as cn
]
| stats values(*) as * by cn
0 Karma

jwhughes58
Contributor

I see I explained my question badly bowesmana.  I was going to update it today with a better explanation, but scelikok answered it.  Thanks for the reply.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...