Splunk Search

Using a lookup file in a subsearch

Makinde

I have an original search to identify some vulnerabilities in my network, one of the fields in the search string is the Server_name field, however I want it to pull that information from my lookup file, so I am going to have to do a search in a search.

One challenge I have is my server names in Splunk are the FQDN but the server_name in my lookup file is just the server name not the FQDN so for me to get a match I need to use a wildcard (*) i.e. Server_name in Splunk is WLTYZ.domain.com while the server name in the lookup file is WLTYZ but I need my search string to match WLTYZ.domain.com in the search results when it uses the result WLTYZ from the lookup file.

I am thinking of putting the wildcard before and after the lookup search string so my search string looks like this;

index=main host_name=*[| inputlookup UCMDB.csv where MD="Ken Bell" | table "Server Name"]* | dedup host_name, qid | stats count by host_name

Do you think this will work? If not what would you recommend?

0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's not how filtering by subsearch results work. Try this:

index=main [inputlookup UCMDB.csv where MD="Ken Bell" | rename "Server Name" as host_name | fields host_name | eval host_name = host_name."*"] | stats dc(qid) by host_name

Note, I've only added the asterisk to the end because of how you described the FQDN difference - wildcards at the beginning of search terms are terribly inefficient. I've also replaced the dedup | stats count with a stats dc(), should do the same thing but faster.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's not how filtering by subsearch results work. Try this:

index=main [inputlookup UCMDB.csv where MD="Ken Bell" | rename "Server Name" as host_name | fields host_name | eval host_name = host_name."*"] | stats dc(qid) by host_name

Note, I've only added the asterisk to the end because of how you described the FQDN difference - wildcards at the beginning of search terms are terribly inefficient. I've also replaced the dedup | stats count with a stats dc(), should do the same thing but faster.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To troubleshoot, split the search into two parts. First, run this:

| inputlookup UCMDB.csv where MD="Ken Bell" | rename "Server Name" as host_name | fields host_name | eval host_name = host_name."*" | format

The result should be a list of host_name="foo*" filters concatenated with a bunch of parentheses and ORs. If that list looks okay, copy it into this:

index=main PASTEHERE | stats dc(qid) by host_name
0 Karma

Makinde

Hi Martin,

I tried the search string you suggested, it wasn't working so I started troubleshooting
First let's start with FQDN with no difference so I removed the "*" just to simplify it all.
First I was able to confirm inputlookup UCMDB.csv where MD="Ken Bell" | rename "Server Name" as host_name | fields host_name works fine, but when I put it all in the search it isn't working.
I confirmed the hostname returneddoes exist in the index so logically it should work however I can't see any results when I run the search.
Any ideas?

0 Karma

Makinde

After further troubleshooting, I noticed "| inputlookup UCMDB.csv where MD="Ken Bell" | rename "Server Name" as host_name | fields host_name" works fine but when I add the "| eval host_name = host_name" section the search returns no values in the fields.
I think the problem is with the eval function. Any ideas?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...