Splunk Search

Using Regex to search events from a specific ip range

813_Gerb
Engager

Hello, I am new to Splunk and REGEX for that matter. What I am trying to accomplish is creating an alert when a specific event occurs with in an IP range without having to create an alert for every IP individually. Here is my very basic query.

index=n sourcetype=c message_text="you should not have done that" host="1.1.1.?" I put the question mark in there because this where I am stuck. The last octet is a range beginning at 23, and ending at 51. Excluding .26, .32, and .38-.44. Thank you for your time.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

manjunathmeti
Champion

If you are filtering data only on host=1.1.1.* then you can filter it using logical operators in the base search only:

index=n sourcetype=c message_text="you should not have done that" (host>="1.1.1.23" AND host<="1.1.1.51") NOT (host>="1.1.1.38" AND host<="1.1.1.44") host!="1.1.1.26" host!="1.1.1.32"

View solution in original post

manjunathmeti
Champion

If you are filtering data only on host=1.1.1.* then you can filter it using logical operators in the base search only:

index=n sourcetype=c message_text="you should not have done that" (host>="1.1.1.23" AND host<="1.1.1.51") NOT (host>="1.1.1.38" AND host<="1.1.1.44") host!="1.1.1.26" host!="1.1.1.32"

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The search command, which is implied before the first pipe, does not support regular expressions.  The best you can do is use a wildcard to grab a larger set of IP addresses and trim the set with later commands.

The listed requirements don't lend themselves to a clean regex string, but perhaps this will help.

index=n sourcetype=c message_text="you should not have done that" host="1.1.1.*" 
| eval lastOctet=mvindex(split(host,"."), 3)
| where (lastOctet>=23 AND lastOctet<=51 AND NOT lastOctet IN (26,32,38,39,40,41,42,43,44))
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

you should try cidrmatch("X",Y).There are also quite many examples how to use lookups for that.

| where cidrmatch ("1.1.1.x/2x", <your IP>) OR cidrmatch("1.1.1.y/2y", <your IP) ....

As you haven't "clean" IP blocks, you must match those to suitable blocks and/or use larger block and then remove unwanted IPs.

r. Ismo.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...