Splunk Search

Uses Transform Field Extraction-Delimiter

SplunkDash
Motivator

Hello,

I was using Transform type Field Extraction, I have an issue to select my Delimiter and facing some errors (not extracting fields as expected). Please see below the Raw Event and the parameters used for it. Thank you so much .....greatly appreciated your support.

Raw Event

"time_stamp":"2021-08-21 19:14:32 EST","user_type":"TESTUSER","file_source_cd":"1","ip_addr":"103.91.224.65","session_id":"ABSkbE7IWb3ZU52VZk=","tsn":"490937st,"request_id":"3ee0a-0c1712196e7-317f2700-d751c8e","user_id":"EASA68A7-780DEA22","return_cd":"10","app_name":"ALAO","event_type":"TEST_AUTH","event_id":"VIEW_LIST_RESPONSE","vardata":"[]","uri":https://wap-prod- /api/web-apps /authorizations,"error_msg":""

Parameters used:

malekmo_2-1629606569934.png

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jwalthour
Communicator

I’m not giving up yet. Is your field layout always the same? I wrote a dynamic field extraction before. However, now I’m thinking it’s static from what you’re saying. If so, try this in Settings > Fields > Field Extractions > Add New Field Extraction in the regex text box:

\"time_stamp\":\"(?P<field1>[^\"]+)\",\"user_type\":\"(?P<field2>[^\"]+)\",\"file_source_cd\":\"(?P<field3>[^\"]+)\",\"ip_addr\":\"(?P<field4>[^\"]+)\",\"session_id\":\"(?P<field5>[^\"]+)\",\"tsn\":\"(?P<field6>[^,]+)\"*,\"request_id\":\"(?P<field7>[^\"]+)\",\"user_id\":\"(?P<field8>[^\"]+)\",\"return_cd\":\"(?P<field9>[^\"]+)\",\"app_name\":\"(?P<field10>[^\"]+)\",\"event_type\":\"(?P<field11>[^\"]+)\",\"event_id\":\"(?P<field12>[^\"]+)\",\"vardata\":\"(?P<field13>[^\"]+)\",\"uri\":(?P<field14>[^\"]+),\"error_msg\":\"(?P<field15>[^\"]*)\"

I just labeled the fields 1-15. You can call them whatever your want. If this is still not quite to order. You could create each as a separate field extraction (eg, ,\"error_msg\":\"(?P<field15>[^\"]*)\") so they can be in different orders.

Let me know how this works or doesn’t.

View solution in original post

jwalthour
Communicator

How about this?

props.conf
[<your sourcetype>]
REPORT-xmlext = field-extractor

transforms.conf
[field-extractor]
REGEX = \"*([^\"]+)\":\"([^\"|:]*)\",*|\"(time_stamp)\":\"([^\"]+)|\"(uri)\":([^,]+)
FORMAT = $1::$2
MV_ADD = true
REPEAT_MATCH = true

If you like it, please mark it as the solution.  Thank you!!

0 Karma

SplunkDash
Motivator

It's good when I write a props and transforms configuration files. But, I am trying to extract fields at/from the SPLUNK web console layer....like from the menu options under "Setting" and "Fields"  ...how would I  write REGEX...your provided code (REGEX) is not grouping data as expected .   Thank. you so much, appreciated.

0 Karma

jwalthour
Communicator

Go to Settings > Fields > Field transformations > New Field Transformation and add this:

A0F12FEE-7670-459D-A08E-2C6690D46D89.jpeg

Save this. Then, go to Settings > Fields > Field extractions > New Field Extractions and as this:

54A3FA5A-43B6-495E-A8FF-880E6F06A093.jpeg

Try that and let me know how it’s working for you. 

0 Karma

SplunkDash
Motivator

Yes, your codes/instructions are right for regex-based option. But, I want to use delimiter based.....with giving the field names different than what is in the events. Thank you so much again, appreciated!

0 Karma

jwalthour
Communicator

I’m not giving up yet. Is your field layout always the same? I wrote a dynamic field extraction before. However, now I’m thinking it’s static from what you’re saying. If so, try this in Settings > Fields > Field Extractions > Add New Field Extraction in the regex text box:

\"time_stamp\":\"(?P<field1>[^\"]+)\",\"user_type\":\"(?P<field2>[^\"]+)\",\"file_source_cd\":\"(?P<field3>[^\"]+)\",\"ip_addr\":\"(?P<field4>[^\"]+)\",\"session_id\":\"(?P<field5>[^\"]+)\",\"tsn\":\"(?P<field6>[^,]+)\"*,\"request_id\":\"(?P<field7>[^\"]+)\",\"user_id\":\"(?P<field8>[^\"]+)\",\"return_cd\":\"(?P<field9>[^\"]+)\",\"app_name\":\"(?P<field10>[^\"]+)\",\"event_type\":\"(?P<field11>[^\"]+)\",\"event_id\":\"(?P<field12>[^\"]+)\",\"vardata\":\"(?P<field13>[^\"]+)\",\"uri\":(?P<field14>[^\"]+),\"error_msg\":\"(?P<field15>[^\"]*)\"

I just labeled the fields 1-15. You can call them whatever your want. If this is still not quite to order. You could create each as a separate field extraction (eg, ,\"error_msg\":\"(?P<field15>[^\"]*)\") so they can be in different orders.

Let me know how this works or doesn’t.

SplunkDash
Motivator

Thank you so much, appreciated!!!

Yes field layout always the same and your codes are working as it is written for.

But, my issue using delimiter-based field extraction

Like             Setting->Fields->Field transformations (see screenshot below)

Under Field transformations , Select the Type Delimiter-based. My issue, with choosing the Delimiter value. I used "," in delimiter field, but not extracted/group fields values. Some of the field values are overlap with each other.  Thank you again, appreciated

malekmo_0-1629659605346.png

0 Karma

jwalthour
Communicator

I’m suggesting you not use delimited-based field extraction. You have much more flexibility and control with regex-based. Then, you don’t the errors you mention. 

0 Karma

SplunkDash
Motivator

That makes sense. Thank you so much appreciated!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...