Splunk Search

Use of "NOT" vs "!="

rtadams89
Contributor

I'm working on a search which should return all events, except those where the "User_Name" or the "Account_Name" fields end with a "$".

If I use this

(NOT (User_Name="*$" OR Account_Name="*$"))

I get the reuslts I expect. However if I use

User_Name!="*$" Account_Name!="*$"

I don't get any results.

In my mind, those two statements should produce the same results. What is it I'm not seeing?

1 Solution

Ayn
Legend

The difference is that with != it's implied that the field exists, but does not have the value specified. So if the field is not found at all in the event, the search will not match.

NOT field= on the other hand will check if the field has the specified value, and if it doesn't for whatever reason, it will match.

View solution in original post

Ayn
Legend

The difference is that with != it's implied that the field exists, but does not have the value specified. So if the field is not found at all in the event, the search will not match.

NOT field= on the other hand will check if the field has the specified value, and if it doesn't for whatever reason, it will match.

debabratp

It helps a lot.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Yeah, because that would say 'User_Name exists and it doesn't match "*$" OR Account_Name exists and it doesn't match "*$"'.

rtadams89
Contributor

Ahh. Well that helps. So jsut for further clarification, I could solve the problem and still use != if I did:

User_Name!="*$" OR Account_Name!="*$"

Assuming I know for sure that all events will have one (and only one) of those fields.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...