Splunk Search

Use aggregate function latest for each minute to use timechart

wvanloon

My data looks like this:

_time:11/5/1912:41:00
ID: 123
Value:10

For each minute I want to know the last value that was known in that minute. How can I achieve this?
The ID is not updated every minute, so if the latest value for a given id at the moment 12:41 is 10 I want the same number for 12:42.

I've tried something like this:
index="" | bin span=1m _time | streamstats current=f window=1440 last(value) AS last_value by id

But I have the feeling I am missing a part.

Thanks in advance.

0 Karma
1 Solution

arjunpkishore5
Motivator

I think what you're looking for is this.

index = someindex
| fields _time, value, id
| timechart span=1m latest(value) as value by id limit=0
| filldown

If this id has never had a value in the selected time range, then it won't show up.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

arjunpkishore5
Motivator

I think what you're looking for is this.

index = someindex
| fields _time, value, id
| timechart span=1m latest(value) as value by id limit=0
| filldown

If this id has never had a value in the selected time range, then it won't show up.

0 Karma

wvanloon

Thanks this is the beginning for what I was looking for.

After this search I want to be able to count the occurrence of each value by time, any idea?

0 Karma

arjunpkishore5
Motivator

You're welcome.

The occurrence, is this going to be a separate search? or you want to append to the results of this search?

0 Karma

wvanloon

The best way would be to append to this result. But a seperate search would be fine too.

0 Karma

marycordova
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Does adding _time at the end of your by id clause help?

by id _time

@marycordova
0 Karma

wvanloon

No that is not working. The problem is that if you group by id and _time it will not find the latest value before that time if the value for that minute doesn't exist.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...