Splunk Search

Understanding collect and savedsearch

zacksoft_wf
Contributor

There is a SPL search, ending with stats that generates 300 events.
Now that Search, lets call it "SEARCH-1" is saved as a 'saved search', and in the 'saved-search' one extra line is added, i.e.
| collect index=sec_apps_summary source="savedSearch_1d"
And earliest , latest setting as -1@d and @d  .
There is another SEARCH-2, that invokes the 'saved search' and the SPL starts like,
| index=sec_apps_summary source="savedSearch_1d" ....

What confuses me is, SEARCH-1 and SEARCH-2 should show same count of result, but I see 300 events for SEARCH-1 and very less 16 events for SEARCH-2.
I suspect something about the way the 'saved search' is utilized , I quite don't understand the difference in result.  Any idea , why ?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

SEARCH-2 does NOT invoke SEARCH-1.

SEARCH-1 performs a search, produces some results, and then writes those results to the sec_app_summary index.

SEARCH-2 reads the sec_app_summary index for all events written by SEARCH-1.

I hope that clears up some of the confusion.  I can't explain why SEARCH-1 writes 300 results, but SEARCH-2 only finds 16.  Perhaps that's related to time window or some aspects of the searches that weren't shared.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

SEARCH-2 does NOT invoke SEARCH-1.

SEARCH-1 performs a search, produces some results, and then writes those results to the sec_app_summary index.

SEARCH-2 reads the sec_app_summary index for all events written by SEARCH-1.

I hope that clears up some of the confusion.  I can't explain why SEARCH-1 writes 300 results, but SEARCH-2 only finds 16.  Perhaps that's related to time window or some aspects of the searches that weren't shared.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...