Splunk Search

Unable to search by field values with long values

chrisduimstra
Path Finder

The values from field exception_info are long multi-line values that are shown properly, but they are unable to be searched for directly. Running this search shows all the exception info values, the values also appear under the left fields bar under the events tab.

sourcetype=WinEventLog:Application Type=Error | stats count by exception_info

When searching by a specific value, it returns no results.

sourcetype=WinEventLog:Application Type=Error  exception_info="value"

I have tested with adding a wildcard search as mentioned in a splunk blog but still receive the same results.
http://blogs.splunk.com/2011/10/07/cannot-search-based-on-an-extracted-field/

sourcetype=WinEventLog:Application Type=Error exception_info=* | search exception_info="value"

This issue affects the message field as well, which also contains long values. The exception_info and message fields are the only two fields affected and they both have long values, so I'm guessing there's a correlation there. Any insight into how to solve this would be appreciated.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You are probably running in to this well-known problem:
http://blogs.splunk.com/2011/10/07/cannot-search-based-on-an-extracted-field/

The solution is to put this into fields.conf in the same directory that you have your field extractions (where props.conf is):

[MyField]
INDEXED_VALUE = false
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Do the value that you're searching is single line value and is the full value for the field exception_info? If you can see the field exception_info on the field side bar on left, then try clicking on a value to add that as filter, instead of typing it out..

0 Karma

chrisduimstra
Path Finder

The values are multi-line, and I have tried clicking on the value to add it into the search and have checked to make sure there are quotes surrounding the value.
Here's an example value

Type: System.NullReferenceException
Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
TargetSite: Void Page_Load(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
Source: Buy.Web.Product
HResult: -2147467261
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

And you've to search for full value itself (Nothing unique the error/exception that is single liner)?

0 Karma

chrisduimstra
Path Finder

I could extract each field separately, but the entirety of the exception_info field is already extracted and it would be more useful and faster to search as a whole value as it is currently.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Since the value is multiline, I believe your search should also be written in the same way. Give this a try

sourcetype=WinEventLog:Application Type=Error  exception_info="Type: System.NullReferenceException
Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
TargetSite: Void Page_Load(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
Source: Buy.Web.Product
HResult: -2147467261"

OR (not the best way)

sourcetype=WinEventLog:Application Type=Error  (exception_info="Type: System.NullReferenceException*" AND exception_info="*Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.*" AND exception_info="*TargetSite: Void Page_Load(System.Object, System.EventArgs)*" AND exception_info="Source: Buy.Web.Product*" AND exception_info="*HResult: -2147467261*")
0 Karma

chrisduimstra
Path Finder

Neither of these options return results.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...