Splunk Search

Trouble with date conversion

mistydennis
Communicator

I need to create a field (30days) with a date 30 days from the date in a given field (pubdate). I believe I have that part working, but can't seem to get the date to convert to the format I want.

|makeresults
|eval pubdate="2022-09-30,2021-08-31"
|makemv delim="," pubdate
|mvexpand pubdate
|eval epochtime=strptime(pubdate, "%Y-%m-%d") 
|eval 30days=epochtime + 2592000
|convert ctime(30days)
|table pubdate, 30days

Which produces:

pubdate30days
2022-09-3010/30/2022 00:00:00.000000
2021-08-3109/30/2021 00:00:00.000000

All I want to do is to format the 30days date field the same was as pubdate - "%Y-%m-%d". Everything I'm trying is producing an error.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The convert command has options to control the format of the time string, but I prefer to use strftime.

|makeresults
|mvexpand pubdate
|eval 30days=relative_time(epochtime, "+30d")
|eval 30days=strftime('30days', "%Y-%m-%d")
|table pubdate, 30days

I also used relative_time() to compute the new timestamp.

I didn't do it in my example, but try to avoid field names beginning with digits as they can confuse the parser.  For instance, the strftime call failed until I used single quotes around the first argument.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The convert command has options to control the format of the time string, but I prefer to use strftime.

|makeresults
|mvexpand pubdate
|eval 30days=relative_time(epochtime, "+30d")
|eval 30days=strftime('30days', "%Y-%m-%d")
|table pubdate, 30days

I also used relative_time() to compute the new timestamp.

I didn't do it in my example, but try to avoid field names beginning with digits as they can confuse the parser.  For instance, the strftime call failed until I used single quotes around the first argument.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

mistydennis
Communicator

Thank you, @richgalloway ! I see you have answered MANY questions regarding date and timestamps here - maybe it's time for you to just write a book and help us all out 🙂

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In most cases I also prefer to use strftime, but in adhoc  queries and especially with mv fields, it’s easier way to convert all values.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

have you tried 

| convert timeformat="%Y-%m-%d" ctimes(30days)

r. Ismo 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...