Splunk Search

Transaction shows incomplete statistics

sunnyb147
Path Finder

Hi All,
I am trying to group the events using transaction command but looks like some of the data is not visible in the statistics.

1. Are there any limit kind of a thing which we can set?
  2. If I run below search for lets say a day or two it works fine, but if I run this search for 7 days it shows the result just for 5 days.

Sample search:

(index=test1 logpoint="request-in") OR (index=test1 logpoint="response-in")
| transaction transaction-id startswith="request-in" endswith="response-in" maxevents=2 keeporphans=true 
| eval epoch_time=strptime('timestamp-in',"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%N")
| eventstats range(epoch_time) as response_time by transaction-id
| timechart span=1d avg(response_time) as average_duration

alt text

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sunny

0 Karma
1 Solution

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @sunnyb147,

Using transactions is resource intensive you can replace it with this which runs only on stats as it will run way faster:

index=test1 logpoint="request-in" OR logpoint="response-in"
 | stats first(_time) as start last(_time) as end first(timestamp-in) as timestamp-in by transaction-id 
 | eval _time=strptime('timestamp-in',"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%N")
 | eval duration=tostring(end-start,"duration")
 | timechart span=1d avg(duration) as average_duration

Cheers,
David

View solution in original post

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @sunnyb147,

Using transactions is resource intensive you can replace it with this which runs only on stats as it will run way faster:

index=test1 logpoint="request-in" OR logpoint="response-in"
 | stats first(_time) as start last(_time) as end first(timestamp-in) as timestamp-in by transaction-id 
 | eval _time=strptime('timestamp-in',"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%N")
 | eval duration=tostring(end-start,"duration")
 | timechart span=1d avg(duration) as average_duration

Cheers,
David

sunnyb147
Path Finder

Thanks David for the feedback 🙂 Today morning I realized the same thing and it worked like a charm.

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

awesome ! good work 😉

0 Karma

amitm05
Builder

Ques -
Have you made sure you have relevant data events available on the dates of 18, 19, 20 ?
Is this the same behavior if you run your search over a different set of 7 days ?

0 Karma

sunnyb147
Path Finder

I think I found the solution, instead of eventstats I used stats and it worked 🙂

Another small question: I cannot mark this question as closed.. could you please guide me on this.

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

to close the question, simply answer it if you have the answer and accept your answer 🙂

0 Karma

sunnyb147
Path Finder

Thank you 🙂 Done !

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...