Splunk Search

Transaction command causing zero results

mrjester
Explorer

I have events that come in on a webform save action that logs the value pairs of all data elements. They look something like this.

06/21/2012 06:26:18 AM
LogName=Application
SourceName=WebAsset
EventCode=10001
EventType=4
Type=Information
ComputerName=dev-web
Category=0
CategoryString=none
RecordNumber=90606
Message=Message=Save
@objId=641
@user=Admin1
@rqstrName=James Doe
@alt1RqstrName=Jane Doe

objId is the key value for the records.

I am trying to display changes per objId over time, but only if there are changes.

sourcetype="WinEventLog:Application" "SourceName=WebAsset" | stats count as events by a_objId | eval include = if(events > 1,1,0) | search include=1 

This query works fine and returns all expected results and all fields are still available.

When I add transaction a_objId to the end, it returns zero results.

sourcetype="WinEventLog:Application" "SourceName=WebAsset" | stats count as events by a_objId | eval include = if(events > 1,1,0)  |  search include=1| transaction a_objId

Running this search shows multiple raw events for the objId still in the results.

sourcetype="WinEventLog:Application" "SourceName=WebAsset" a_objId=<value> | stats count as events by a_objId | eval include = if(events > 1,1,0) | search include=1

This search returns the desired results, just not filtered for for objIds with multiple events.

sourcetype="WinEventLog:Application" "SourceName=WebAsset" | transaction a_objId

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong here?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

cphair
Builder

I think you're going to have trouble using transaction after a summarizing command like stats. Can you use the eventcount field of transaction to do what you want?

sourcetype="WinEventLog:Application" "SourceName=WebAsset" | transaction a_objId | where eventcount > 1

View solution in original post

cphair
Builder

I think you're going to have trouble using transaction after a summarizing command like stats. Can you use the eventcount field of transaction to do what you want?

sourcetype="WinEventLog:Application" "SourceName=WebAsset" | transaction a_objId | where eventcount > 1

mrjester
Explorer

You sir, have solved my dilemma. Thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...