Splunk Search

Total and Error count by Provider

rajkskumar
Explorer

I am trying to create a table which has Total number of events and the Error count in the events. The field 'services.errorCode' will be filled if there is an error, it will not be filled if the event is a success.

The below query gives me the correct count of Total, but the Error Count is always 0. I have verified in the Events and there are many events with the field errorCode filled.

index=prod | stats count as "Total", count(eval("services.errorCode"!=null)) as "Error Count" by services.serviceProviderName

Please guide me on how this could be done.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Putting the fieldname in double quotes just converts it to a string with the name of the field in. Try using single quotes as I suggested earlier

index=prod 
| eval error=if(isnull('services.errorCode'),0,1)
| stats count as "Total", sum(error) as "Error Count" by services.serviceProviderName

Single quotes are often needed for field names with dots in. 

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try single quotes around the field name

index=prod | stats count as "Total", count(eval('services.errorCode'!=null)) as "Error Count" by services.serviceProviderName
0 Karma

rajkskumar
Explorer

Tried with single quotes, unfortunately, getting the same results.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Other people have reported problems with eval within counts so you could try

index=prod 
| eval error=if(isnull(services.errorCode),0,1)
| stats count as "Total", sum(error) as "Error Count" by services.serviceProviderName

0 Karma

rajkskumar
Explorer

It was not working. I have put the field name within Double quotes. Now, everything gets counted as error.

index=prod 
| eval error=if(isnull("services.errorCode"),0,1)

Instead of isnull, I also tried with checking the length, if it is zero.  That is not working as well. Total Event count and Error count is coming out the same.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Putting the fieldname in double quotes just converts it to a string with the name of the field in. Try using single quotes as I suggested earlier

index=prod 
| eval error=if(isnull('services.errorCode'),0,1)

Single quotes are often needed for field names with dots in. 

rajkskumar
Explorer

Could you please suggest to me how to add the percentage of Errors against Total events?

index=ladedienst-prod 
| eval errorCount=if(isnull('services.errorCode'),0,1)
| stats count as "Total", sum(errorCount) as "Error Count" by services.serviceProviderName

I have tried with eval before the stats command. But, it was not working. 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
index=ladedienst-prod 
| eval errorCount=if(isnull('services.errorCode'),0,1)
| stats count as "Total", sum(errorCount) as "Error Count" by services.serviceProviderName
| eval percent=round(('Error Count' * 100) / Total,2)

The calculation should be done after the stats command

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...