Splunk Search

Top Command not Returning Results

SMM10
Explorer

I am using a chart command to get a list of IP's and servers with an error. I am attempting to only get the top 10 results. For some reason when I do the top for IP I do not get results but if I do it for server I get results.

index=foo result=error
| chart count by server, ip
| top limit=10 ip

Labels (2)
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Once you run your chart command, you get one column for server and a column each for different ips in your result (column name will the value of ip), but there is no field called "ip" hence your top command fails. (it works for field server as it exists.

Assuming you want to get top 'ip' based on count, try something like this

index=foo result=error
| top limit=10 ip
0 Karma

SMM10
Explorer

Doing that though loses the chart formatting that I wanted. IP's as the columns with servers as the rows. I would like to keep the chart formatting.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

So do you want to show only the ip (as columns) which have top 10 total count of errors (across all servers)? 

0 Karma

SMM10
Explorer

Yes so the two rows should be  servers and the columns should be the individual IP. For context this is from one of the learning labs so I believe I need to use chart and cant bypass it. I find it more strange that i can get the server name to show; though its only two values but the IP doesn't. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...