Splunk Search

Top 10 of a top 10

BigShak
Explorer

Hello there,

I want to make a top 10 of applications based on top 10 of categories.

Here is an example:

CategoryNb of alert / categoryApplicationNb of alert (by app for this category)
Cat18000App11000
 8000App2100
 8000App310
Cat25000App110000
 5000App2688
Cat3300App44560

So I know how to get the top 10 categories but from that I don't know how to get the top 10 applications for each category found previously.

Here is what i've done so far:  (note that the 2nd column in my example doesn't exist in my query, it's just to make the example clearer)

index=my_index action=block [search index=my_index action=block | top category | table category] | stats count by category, app | stats values(app) AS apps, values(count) AS total by category

It gives me the 10 categories but they are sorted by alphabetic order instead of by number of block action and I have more than 10 applications on the second column, not sorted.

Does anyone has a solution for that? It'd be lovely.

Thanks in advance.

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
index=my_index action=block [search index=my_index action=block | top category | table category] 
| stats count by category, app
| sort 0 category -count
| streamstats count as rank by category
| where rank < 11
| eventstats sum(count) as total by category
| sort 0 -total category -count

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this

index=my_index action=block [search index=my_index action=block | top category | table category] 
| sort 0 category -count
| where rank < 11

BigShak
Explorer

Hi ITWhisperer,

Many thanks for you answer! It is working almost as I expected. The apps are properly sorted for each category and limited to 10, great! However, I still have the issue with the categories... they are ordered in alphabetical order, do you have an idea?

Thanks.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| sort 0 category -count
| where rank < 11
| eventstats sum(count) as total by category
| sort 0 -total category -count
0 Karma

BigShak
Explorer

Many thanks, have a great day 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...