Splunk Search

To generate two sets of values from one field

splunk_rookie
Engager

Hi all,

I am new to Splunk and I would like to seek help from the Splunk Community to generate the net power consumption with the following conditions:

1. I have two sets of assets namely A and B, which generate a power consumption value. To get the net power consumption (NPC), I will need to subtract the power value of A from B. (NPC=powerB-powerA)

2. The power consumption values are accumulated. To obtain the power consumed by each asset, I subtracted the earliest power value from the latest value. (power=latest-earliest)

The problem which I'm facing now is I can't use the same field (power) to generate the power consumption values for asset A and B. I attempted to do a multisearch because I want both my search to run at the same time but the error which I got was "subsearch contains a non-streaming command".

Below is my search query:

| multisearch

[ | stats latest(Power) as latest_A earliest(Power) as earliest_A by A]

[| stats latest(Power) as latest_B earliest(Power) as earliest_B by B] 

| eval powerA = latestA - earliestA 

| eval powerB = latestB - earliestB

| eval NPC =  powerB - powerA

What are the alternatives way or commands which will make my query work? Please help!

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Super Champion

@splunk_rookie Try below-

| stats latest(Power) as latest_power earliest(Power) as earliest_power by Asset
| eval powers = latest_power - earliest_power
| stats sum(eval(if(Asset=="A",powers,0))) as A sum(eval(if(Asset=="B",powers,0))) as B 
| eval NPC = B- A

If this helps an upvote will be appreciated!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Super Champion

@splunk_rookie Try below-

| stats latest(Power) as latest_power earliest(Power) as earliest_power by Asset
| eval powers = latest_power - earliest_power
| stats sum(eval(if(Asset=="A",powers,0))) as A sum(eval(if(Asset=="B",powers,0))) as B 
| eval NPC = B- A

If this helps an upvote will be appreciated!

0 Karma

splunk_rookie
Engager

thanks! it works~

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunk_rookie,

Are the assets A and B different fields in the log file ? Or field values?  Can you please post a sample data for us to help?

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.
0 Karma

splunk_rookie
Engager

Hi @scelikok , 

Assets A and B are from the same field. Sorry, I can't provide the sample data but let me list out the fields which I used. 

1. Asset

2. Power

3. _time

Given that the power value generated by Asset A is a regenerative energy and Asset B is consumption energy,  I had to split the latest(power) and earliest(power) by Asset A and Asset B before subtracting them to obtain the net power consumption. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...