Splunk Search

Timechart vs. Chart (_time) to figure out bandwidth?

albyva
Communicator

When trying to figure out bandwidth, which search string makes more sense?

| eval MBs=(bytes*8/1024/1024) | timechart sum(MBs) as "MB/s"

or

| eval MBs=(bytes*8/1024/1024) | chart sum(MBs) as "MB/s" by _time

1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You're trying to find bandwidth at a fixed interval? The timechart provides 'span' options without any extra line (a bucket command will be required for chart), so I will go for timechart.

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You're trying to find bandwidth at a fixed interval? The timechart provides 'span' options without any extra line (a bucket command will be required for chart), so I will go for timechart.

albyva
Communicator

Thanks for the incite about chart and needing a bucket. I think I'll stick with Timechart. Typically it is a fixed interval like 2hrs, 12hrs, or 24hrs.

0 Karma

rickettw

I am researching how to track spikes in bandwidth to see if individuals are using the network to for personal time like conducting personal business during lunch. From your answer above, have you any advice or experience to track bandwidth using Active Directory IDs rather than hardware types/routers?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...