Splunk Search

Timechart showing if servers are communicating with Splunk

tc641

Our Splunk expert is away 😮
I want to see the total number servers that can communicate with splunk i.e. they are on the forwarder manager. on the y-axis and time on the x axis.

I have attempted a few searches e.g
| metadata type=hosts
| chart count by recentTime

but this doesn't give me what I want really at all : (

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks 🙂

0 Karma
1 Solution

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

here's one way...

| tstats dc(host) as hostcount WHERE index=_internal by _time span=1h 
| timechart span=1d avg(hostcount)

Here's some other useful ones...

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/294769/how-to-get-a-progressive-chart-of-hosts-added-over.html

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

here's one way...

| tstats dc(host) as hostcount WHERE index=_internal by _time span=1h 
| timechart span=1d avg(hostcount)

Here's some other useful ones...

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/294769/how-to-get-a-progressive-chart-of-hosts-added-over.html

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi tc641,
to you want to know servers that can communicate with Splunk or servers that are communicating with Splunk?

If the first, you can see all the server in the deployment server or find servers that sent logs in the last (e.g.) one month, running a search like

| metasearch index=_internal earliest=-1mon latest=now | dedup host | sort host | table host 

If instead the second, you should do the following steps:

1. create a lookup perimeter.csv with one field "host"
  2. populate it with all the servers in your perimeter: manually or scheduling a search lithe this | metasearch index=_internal earliest=-1mon latest=now | dedup host | sort host | table host | outputlookup perimeter.csv
  3. run a search like the following | metasearch index=_internal | host=upper(host) | stats count by host | append [ | inputlookup perimeter.csv | eval count=0, host=upper(host) | fields host count ] | stats sum(count) AS Total by host
  4. In this way servers with Total=0 are missing and Total > 0 are present

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi tc641,
to you want to know servers that can communicate with Splunk or servers that are communicating with Splunk?

If the first, you can see all the server in the deployment server or find servers that sent logs in the last (e.g.) one month, running a search like

| metasearch index=_internal earliest=-1mon latest=now | dedup host | sort host | table host 

If instead the second, you should do the following steps:

1. create a lookup perimeter.csv with one field "host"
  2. populate it with all the servers in your perimeter: manually or scheduling a search lithe this | metasearch index=_internal earliest=-1mon latest=now | dedup host | sort host | table host | outputlookup perimeter.csv
  3. run a search like the following | metasearch index=_internal | host=upper(host) | stats count by host | append [ | inputlookup perimeter.csv | eval count=0, host=upper(host) | fields host count ] | stats sum(count) AS Total by host
  4. In this way servers with Total=0 are missing and Total > 0 are present

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This will give you what you want but if you've too many hosts, it won't look pretty.

| metadata type=hosts | table host recentTime | rename recentTime as _time | timechart dc(host) as hosts limit=0

For better suggestion, please describe what you're expect as the output.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...