Splunk Search

Timechart's Table Column Header - Sorted in Descending Order

syslogap

Hi,

I'm using version 4.2.2 with the search query:

host = "JA8*" AND eventtype="firewall*" earliest=7/1/2011:0:0:0 | dedup _raw | timechart count by host span=month limit=20 

This produces a timechart with the table header sorted in descending order - "time, JA827J, JA826J, JA825J, JA822J, JA812A, JA810A, ...". Is there anything I can do to get the table header sorted in ascending order - "_time, JA810A, JA812A, JA822J, JA825J, ..." besides upgrading to 5.0 where this issue doesn't occur?

It appears descending order is being caused by using "limit" in the search query. I have more than 10 hosts so not using "limit" isn't an option as far as I understand it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

JForhan

Tags (1)
0 Karma

yong_ly
Path Finder

have you tried the sort command?

host = "JA8*" AND eventtype="firewall*" earliest=7/1/2011:0:0:0 | dedup _raw | timechart count by host span=month limit=20 | sort by host DESC

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

sort sorts rows, not columns.

0 Karma

syslogap

Thanks. That suffices as a work-around until we upgrade.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can specify the field order with the fields command, it might just require listing every field name.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...