Splunk Search

Timechart and Order of Operations

mistydennis
Communicator

I am struggling with the order of operations in my timechart query. I need to show the number of Users who accessed a system daily over a 7 day period. My query shows the correct numbers for 1 day, but when I extend the timepicker to 7 days the numbers are incorrect. I've tried using dedup to get the distinct number of users, but this causes a problem when I extend the timepicker (it then dedupes users across 7 days instead of per day). Help.

index=foo sourcetype="bar" realm="keywords"
| stats dc(User) by _time, status
| timechart span=1d count by status

0 Karma
1 Solution

mistydennis
Communicator

Finally figured it out. The correct timechart command was:
| timechart span=1d distinct_count(User) by status

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mistydennis
Communicator

Finally figured it out. The correct timechart command was:
| timechart span=1d distinct_count(User) by status

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How are the 7-day numbers incorrect?
Have you tried ignoring status? Status shouldn't matter when you only care about user count.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

mistydennis
Communicator

So, for example, if I look at April 2 only I get 100 users (correct). If I extend the time picker to April 1 - 2, the numbers are April 1: 25 users (should be 50), April 2: 30 users (should be 100). I need status because I need the split-by count.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...